Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

keys switched/combined?

• Please log in to reply

dav1mar1

dav1mar1

• Pip
  • 2 posts
When I hit the enter key it automatically adds a backslash at the beginning of the new line. Like this:
\ and I have to backspace to remove it. And when I hit the backslash key above the enter key it does exactly the same thing like this
\ It's like the keys were combined or something. If I hit the enter key or the backslash key multiple times, it adds the backslash at each line.
\
\
\
All the other keys seem fine. I'm sure this is something very simple, but I have tried everything and can't figure it out. Help!! Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi dav1mar1. Welcome to Geeks to Go!

This is a strange sounding problem.

1. In which programs do you see this behavior? Is it all or some?

2. Is your keyboard PS2 or USB?

3. Have you spilt anything in or near the keyboard recently?

4. What might have happened with your system just prior to this problem?

5. Do you have another keyboard that you can test? If it's PS2, you'll have to shutdown, plug in the other keyboard, then power up. USB keyboards are recognized on the fly.

dav1mar1

dav1mar1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the rapid response LindaGail! I wrote a long response and then noticed that the keys were stuck together. Close examination found a small piece of black plastic the same color as the keyboard. I worked on it a few minutes with a knife, and that solved the problem!
Thanks sooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Glad you got it fixed! Thanks for letting us know :whistling: