Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MY router hates me

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
This has been driving me batty for a while. I have a D-Link 614 router. It's hooked to my P4 Intel 1.7 processor, WinXP SP2, 80 gig HD, 1 gig RAM and a Netgear ethernet card. My server is local cable with 128 KB up and 1.5 MB down, they just upgraded. Used to be 128 KB up and 256 KB down.

The problem is this. When some one comes over with their laptop, and have my permission to use my router, their download speed, stays around 140 KB. When I hooked another computer to the router, that computer's speed stays over 120 KB. Just hooked up a P II 400 MHz computer to update some programs and THAT'S computer average over 100 KB.

When I change the lines and put my computer where another was, the same results. Think it just hates my computer.

I have checked and re checked my settings, cleaned out all temp files, updated all firmware. Still whenever other computers access the net from my router, the speed is great, but whenever I do, it stays around 30 KB.

Mostly only one computer is on line at a time, if I'm downloading with the laptop, then the other computers are either running a scan or defraging.

I'm willing to try anything at this point. Could my Ethernet card be bad??? Is there a setting I missed?? How do I change the settings?? My device manager says everything is working fine.

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello coffeedrinker and welcome to G2G,

When I change the lines and put my computer where another was, the same results. <--------- your getting the same speed results as the other pc's right????

could either be your ISP, modem, router, cat wiring, nic, or software..... but if it is happening on everyone that is connecting and not just you it would have to be one of the first three.... but if it is happening to just you then it would be one of the last three....

Im not following you exactly so post back and let me know if just you are getting slower speeds than everyone else or everyone is getting slow speeds?

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Thanks Space Cowboy and

Sorry if I'm confusing. I meant no matter where I plug my computer in, the speed stays around 30 KB. When I plug another computer in the same plug, it gets 120 KB or higher. I used a laptop yesterday and it averaged over 90 KB while it was downloading.

SO I don't believe it's the router. MY ethernet card is a Netgear GA-302T and the firmware is updated. Checked the device manager and everything seems to be alright. MY next step is replace the card and see what happens.

Could it be the card??? Is there a way to change the settings on an ethernet card??

IT's just something that's been bugging me for a while.

Thanks again Space Cowboy for your help

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Have you made sure that your card is set to 10baset Half Duplex form the nic properties? If so then it must be a bad card.

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Thanks SpaceCowboy706

A friend of mine stopped by and changed the settings from auto to 100 Mb full and this thing is super fast. Thought if you had in on auto, it would automatically change. Guess not.

Thanks for your replies. You can close this topic.