Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IBM brings vacuum technique to chips

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Researchers at IBM have come up with a way to create vacuum spaces between copper wires in semiconductors, an insulating technique that will allow these chips to increase in speed and performance and reduce power consumption. Early indications show that chip performance can be increased by up to 35 percent, power consumption can be cut by 15 percent, or some combination of increased performance and power savings can be achieved.

The vacuum technique, called Airgap, will be introduced to IBM's manufacturing process with the 32nm (nanometre) generation of microprocessors, said IBM fellow Dan Edelstein, who led the project. These chips will start rolling out in 2009. IBM's semiconductor partners — including AMD, Toshiba, Sony "and soon to be others" — will be able to adopt the technology for their own chips, he added.

http://uk.news.yahoo...ps-20a87fa.html

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
Wow, these should be very nice. I wonder how they will play out in quad cores which should be coming out early next year or maybe late 4Q this year!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Quad cores have been out since the fall. The reason I like this is because the lower power consumption will enable much higher performance on a laptops. It's said that we'll see quad cores in H1 of 2008. I'll be waiting anciously for them to arrive :whistling: Can't wait till 2009 comes along to see this, but that goes for all technology. Since AMD is involved I won't be surprised if it's delayed till 2010, if it ever gets released. Cough* HD 2900xtx cough*
James