Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SMTP email from webpage

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok...my ineptitude with webdesign has come back up

Backstory: We've got a system in place here that tracks production numbers in the plant (parts made, scrap percentage, efficiency etc..)...this system reports it's numbers to a server that compiles reports etc..etc.. these reports can be accessed via a webpage on the server...another function of the system is that when a line is down or if the line operator needs material...they can press a button and it will display the call on a big plasma monitor...

New stuff: We're getting a pager system that will integrate into this system so that when someone presses the "line down" button it will page the engineer responsible for that line as well as maintenance personel...this pager system accepts SMTP traffic for paging ([email protected]). well the company charges extra for the ability to connect to the paging device to do manual pages....but if i send a message via SMTP...then i bypass that....so i need to have a webpage that will send SMTP messages from the server and i have no idea how to do such a thing...

basically the page will just need to have the pager numbers in a selectable field and a place to type in a message...etc...

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as a clarification...i'm not asking for someone to build this thing...just maybe point me in the direction of a template that i could modify

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
You don't generally send via a web page from SMTP, you use a program like sendmail (for linux boxes). I would have to know more about your setup, what os your webserver is set up on and what-not. I could write one in PHP that would use an external SMTP, but that can sometimes get complicated. Also, if your website is hosted on a windoze box with ASP, I can be of zero assistance.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hehe well...it's all windows 2003...and i think it's in asp haha

also...the reason that i need it to send via SMTP directly from the server is because when someone would access this contraption from outside...they won't have access to the SMTP server that will be sending the mail internally (smtp relays and connectors and smart hosts etc..)....which is why the mail has to be initiated and delivered by the server that's running the webpage

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Doesn't matter where you are, the email would come from the server. For a script like this to work, you would have to include authentication in the script. Meaning that anyone that could find that page could use your script to send pages to the people's pagers.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Topic Starter
  • Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the page itself already has authentication on it...so joe schmoe can't get in...i would imagine adding another level there wouldn't hurt though

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
I think your best bet will be to head to an ASP forum. I believe most of the folks who lurk here only speak PHP.