Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovery Console

• Please log in to reply

hulud

hulud

• PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
i am trying to fix the vgaoem.fon error using the steps here -> http://support.micro...b;en-us;q315338

it doesnt ask for an administrator password and when i try to run the expand command i get "access is denied"

anyone know why recovery console wouldnt ask for an admin password? i even went into the startup menu and re-set it after the first couple of tries - but when i go into recovery console all it does is go straight to command prompt.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The recovery console will not always ask for a password depending on how badly "screwed" (for want of a better word) the installation is.
Your best bet is to do a CHKDSK /R /P first, let it run, reboot and then see if you can get an Admin PW prompt. If not, you've probably got more serious issues.

Edited by Neil Jones, 03 May 2007 - 01:17 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I've found that when you get this problem, if you set up the hard drive as a slave on another computer and let that computer run the automatic chkdsk on it during bootup (aka the 5-Step check), that when you put it back into the machine and try to get to the recovery console, that you actually have an installation of windows listed that you can select and then get the password prompt. This also allows Windows Repair Installation wizard to detect the installation of windows and allow you to perform a repair installation of windows on the drive.

Fenor

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
thanks. ill give the chkdsk a try. unfortunately its an hp laptop and i dont have another i can try putting the hd in - so ill try booting and running chkdsk

hulud

hulud

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
well well well

i ran the CHKDSK /R /P and now the computer is booting normally - so a double bonus!

thanks very much for your help guys, greatly appreciated.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad that worked for you! :whistling:

Fenor