Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows not recognizing CD/DVD drives

• Please log in to reply

dlines

dlines

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
My combination CD/DVD drive stopped working a few weeks ago. I don't use it that often, so I don't know exactly when it stopped working. I don't know of anything I loaded that might have made it stop working, so I am not sure if I have some kind of spyware or virus, etc. When I look for the drives on my computer, they no longer show a D: drive (which was the CD/DVD drive). The mother board has been replaced and I can boot off the CD drive if I want to. When I look at the BIOS "listing" the drive does show up there and like I said if I don't boot up Windows, the drive works fine, so I don't think it is a hardware issue. There is something in Windows that has made it not recognize the CD drive. If I attach an external CD drive to a USB port, that is not recognized either. If I plug in a USB thumb/jump drive, that IS recognized. Any suggestions as to what might be happening?

Thanks,
David

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi dlines!

Go to START-->RUN and type in devmgmt.msc and click OK. The Device Manager will open. Click the + symbol next to DVD/CD-ROM drives and let me know what is listed there.

Fenor

dlines

dlines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Wow, I wasn't expecting a reply that quickly. Thanks.

Unfortunately I don't have the computer right here with me right now. As I remember, the CD drive does show up under device management, but it has the exclamation mark on it. If you look to see what that is, it says something that makes you think that the driver needs updating. I tried to update the driver but it says that there is nothing better than what it already has. I have tried to delete the driver and let it reload, but everything just happens the same way when it recognized new hardware.

Sorry I don't have the exact information. If this isn't good enough, let me know and I will give you more exact information later when I get to the computer.

Thanks,
David

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Please do the following. I know you already did the first part of it, but it never hurts to do it again...

Let's have you uninstall the DVD-Drive and then have you reboot and let windows reinstall the drivers for it. To do this, do the following:
  • Go to START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc
  • In the new window that appears, click the + symbol next to CD/DVD-ROM Drives.
  • Locate the drive in question and right-click it and choose UNINSTALL.
  • Once it's finishing uninstalling, reboot your computer.
Once it's rebooted, try putting a DVD in it again and see if the same thing happens.

----------------------------

If after rebooting you are still having problems, try the following:

Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export. Name this file "filters" and save it to your desktop. This file can be deleted when it is determined it is no longer needed.

In the right pane, if either UpperFilters or LowerFilters are present, right click on it and choose Delete...accept the deletion. Delete both if they are both present.

Close Registry Editor and reboot.

----------------------------

If after doing that your drive still doesn't show up, please download CDGone from HERE. Once it's downloaded, extract the files to your desktop and open the READ ME FIRST.txt file and following the instructions there.

Post back with how things are going after doing the above.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 03 May 2007 - 03:21 PM.

dlines

dlines

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Sorry to take so long to get back to you. I did some of what you said. I used the area in the registry that you recommended and deleted the LowerFilters entry. When I rebooted, everything worked just as it had before.

Thanks so much for your wonderful and quick help. I really appreciate it.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad I could help! :whistling:

Fenor