Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help!

• Please log in to reply

Mychal

Mychal

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a Compaq Presario C500 that i bought a couple of weeks ago. After a week of total frustration with Vista (which is a pille of crap) i formatted the hdd. I then installed xp upgrade with sp2 and now the speakers dont work, the modem isnt being detected, and the wireless connection says its disabled, and in Other Devices i have the dreaded yellow ? next to: Network Controller, PCI Device, SM Bus Controller, Unknown Device, Video Controller, and Video Controller (VGA Compatible)
So now i cant get online to get the drivers im pretty sure i need, and when i uninstall the drivers and devices that have the yellow ? the xp cd says it cant find the drivers needed.

HELP!

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Mychal! Welcome to G2G!

You definitely need some drivers to be installed. Transferring them over to the other computer won't be that bad. All you need to do is download them from the computer you posted this topic from, and then burn them to a CD or copy them over to a flash drive and take them to the other computer and install them.

There are multiple versions for your laptop, so I need you to give me the following:
  • Product Name
  • Serial Number
  • Part Number
  • Model Number
This information can be found on the sticker on the bottom of your laptop. The sticker looks like the following:

Posted Image

From the following picture the information for each item I need is:
* Product Name: HP Pavilion dv9000
* Serial Number: CNF123456789
* Part Number: RST123A#ABA
* Model Number: dv9090xx

Use the above example to help you find the information that I need to help you get the correct drivers for your laptop. :whistling:

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 03 May 2007 - 06:09 PM.

Mychal

Mychal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks Fenor! here is the information you requested
p/n: RQ337UA#ABA
s/n: CND70103S4
product: Presario C500
model: C501NR

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Okay, lets go one by one so we get it right. :whistling:

You can download your sound card drivers from HERE. Just scroll down the page and click on the DOWNLOAD ONLY button. Once it's downloaded, just double-click the file to run it and once installed, reboot your computer (even if not prompted). Once rebooted, check and see if you have sound (which you should know from the Windows startup music) and then post back.

Fenor

Mychal

Mychal

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks Fenor, i downloaded the sound card drivers and ill try it later today when i go home for lunch.