Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"RAID" !

• Please log in to reply

ossa

ossa

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
After 4 years with (my old plain-vanilla IDE machine), I'm going to order up a dual core extreme mobo/cpu/ram with a couple (2) raptor HD's and have a couple questions about Raid "0" install and it's use.

1) after connecting the 2 HD's up on the SATA cable, boot to my XP pro w/sp2 and is the install normal. I think I understand that both of the HD's act as one.??

2) Is the backup image handled any different..?

3) How does one know if one of the HD's go out..? And I think that it'll run off the other HD --- is that right.?

MTIA
-O

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you're going to go RAID 0, both drives are effectively put together to make one big one. So if you have, say, two 160Gb drives, you'll see it come up in Windows as a 320Gb. You may need to press F6 during XP Setup with a driver supplied with the board for RAID setup.

There is no backup protection in a RAID 0 configuration like there is in other RAID configurations. When a drive in a RAID 0 configuration falls over, the entire array falls down with it and you lose everything. You'll know when this has happened in a RAID 0 configuration as the computer will not boot anymore.

ossa

ossa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi Neil:
That info. is definitely something to know right now before even trying RAID 0, thanks alot.

So, if interested in RAID, what setup would you recommend?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I personally wouldn't put anything in a RAID configuration for a machine with home use, especially not RAID 0 unless you're prepared to lose the lot. You will not see any speed increase.

ossa

ossa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks Neil, I'll take your advice and forget RAID :-)