Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compaq Backup Drive recovery

• Please log in to reply

Vortex153

Vortex153

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, I'm looking for some help, if possible. My father (like usual) had downloaded a lot of spyware and such and I took his computer and installed a new operating system on it. He originally had XP, but I always found 2000 Professional worked great for me so I reformatted the hard drive and put 2000 on it instead. When I got done installing it I was looking through his disks and found out that all the recovery data is on a partition of the hard drive. The problem is, since I formatted the main partition, I also deleted the program to get to the recovery data.

Is there anywhere to download this software so I can access the recovery partition? It's the original backup data that came preinstalled on his Compaq. I believe it's called "Compaq Application Recovery Software" or something similar.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you used Windows Setup to rip all the partitions out, the recovery partition will have gone with it.
The only way from here is to purchase some recovery CDs from Compaq but whether they still have any for your particular model is anybody's guess.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I think it unlikely he's trashed the recovery partition if he just formatted a single, Windows partition. He didn't say he'd formatted ALL the partitions. The recovery partition would have to be formatted separately to wipe the data off it, and he didn't say he'd done that. Besides, he already says he can see the recovery data since formatting the C drive, which proves it's still there, under a separate drive letter.

Vortex153, if the PC was manufactured after spring 2003, pressing F10 key repeatedly as soon as it's switched on should bring up a menu from which recovery can be selected, but even that may not work if the menu utility resides normally on the C drive which you've formatted. That bit I don't know. You'll just have to try it and hope that the menu utility exists on the recovery partition which is still intact.

Edited by pip22, 05 May 2007 - 11:51 AM.

Vortex153

Vortex153

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

I think it unlikely he's trashed the recovery partition if he just formatted a single, Windows partition. He didn't say he'd formatted ALL the partitions. The recovery partition would have to be formatted separately to wipe the data off it, and he didn't say he'd done that. Besides, he already says he can see the recovery data since formatting the C drive, which proves it's still there, under a separate drive letter.

Vortex153, if the PC was manufactured after spring 2003, pressing F10 key repeatedly as soon as it's switched on should bring up a menu from which recovery can be selected, but even that may not work if the menu utility resides normally on the C drive which you've formatted. That bit I don't know. You'll just have to try it and hope that the menu utility exists on the recovery partition which is still intact.

Thanks for the help. The recovery partition is still there, I had tried the F10 trick and it still didn't work. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to buy recovery disks, but I think it's looking that way.

Thanks again for the help.