Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Office Error 1311

• Please log in to reply

canopysquid

canopysquid

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi there,

I have been getting Microsoft Office Error messages (#1311) when I try to open Excel. I first got these messages earlier today when attempting to set up my Microsoft Outlook software. I have Microsoft Office for Small Businesses 2003. I noticed on some other posts in regards to Error 1311 that inserting the CD helped. However, I no longer have my installation CDs. Is there anything else I can do to access Excel? All the other Microsoft programs seem to be working fine.

Thanks.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi canopysquid. Welcome to Geeks to Go!

There's not much you can do with your installation CD. I highly recommend calling Microsoft at (800) 360-7561 to order replacement media. See Microsoft article 326246 for additional support options.

canopysquid

canopysquid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi LindaGail,

Thanks for responding to my post. I was hoping I wouldn't need to order new media. Do you happen to know why Excel is not opening? And if I get replacement media, will my current Excel files and other Microsoft files remain on my computer, or do I need to back them all up?

Thanks!

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
No, I don't know why your Excel won't open. What happened with your computer just before Excel starting acting up? Did you install, update, or uninstall anything? You could try opening Add/Remove Programs, scrolling to Microsoft Office (or Excel), clicking Change, then Repair Office, Detect and Repair. If your install files are on your hard drive, the setup routine may be able to complete the task. If not and it looks for the disk, you'll be out of luck until you get a replacement disk.

See this previous G2G Thread, Post #4, for information on where your files are and how they might be affected.

Of course, taking a backup of all your critical documents and files is always a good idea :whistling:

canopysquid

canopysquid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi again,

The problems with Excel started when I tried to use my Microsoft Outlook, which I have never used before. I was attempting to import my email addresses. I'm not really sure why this would effect Excel. During that process I received the same error message, though. (Error 1311)

In any case, I tried repairing my Microsoft program as you suggested, but it appears I need to get a disc to do that. Thanks for all your help! And by the way, do you know if I can simply borrow someone's Excel or Microsoft program CD, or do I need to buy the whole program over again? I just bought this one two years ago.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Yes, you can borrow a disk - be sure it's the same version you have.

canopysquid

canopysquid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi LindaGail,

Thanks for all your help!