Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

default save other than My Documents

• Please log in to reply

dtswereme

dtswereme

• Pip
  • 4 posts
more times than not, in our operation, a document or spreadsheet prepared by one person on our network should be available to every station on the network. It is a pain to "browze" away from My Documents, when saving the document, to use Shared Documents folder instead. Better to let the person who, on a rare occasion, really needs it only own his/her computer to browze for My Documents folder. Can Shared Documents folder be made the default save location?
Thank You

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi dtswereme. Welcome to Geeks to Go!

See this previous G2G Thread that deals with a similar question.

If that doesn't help, please post back.

dtswereme

dtswereme

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
In my case, I should use the tools> options> function of the individual program and change the default save location for files I create in that specific program, Excel. Word, etc. I have posted this for others who might look for an operating system answer to this problem when the solution lies with the individual program. I should have posted my question to the Office board rather than XP...but who knew. Thank You

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I'm not sure about that. If you want the default save location (My Documents) to be something other than C:\My Documents, then change the location of My Documetns on each workstation or use a group policy at the server to change it. Now, if you want a different location for each application, then changing it within that application would work.

dtswereme

dtswereme

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes Gail, for older Office programs it is tools> options>
I use Office 2007 (different). In Excel I click the Office logo and am given save, open, close. etc choices and down at the very bottom of this menu is "Excel Options" (if I am in Word, of course, it reads "Word Options"). Once in options you see several categories, click save and it brings up the options for saving. One being the default location for documents created using Excel. You type in the path and file name. Mine now reads ..... C:\Shared Documents
A file I had ALREADY created on my computer with its properties set to "share this folder" thus it appears in "My Network Places" on the other computers on the network.
I create subdirectories to the shared documents file I created.
My subdirectories: quotes, correspondence, forms, etc
so when I go to save a document, clicking save I am offered the directory: "Shared Documents"
with the various "subs" for me to choose from instead of
My Documents, with the music, video, picture, etc subs.

Once again, I thank you for your interest.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I see what you're trying to do.

I'm not sure about that.

What I'm not sure about is the way you want to accomplish it. Based on your original post, I think it would have been simpler to redirect "My Documents" to the "Shared Folder", whether this folder is on the workstation or the server. And you could have done it with a Group Policy on the server, if you have a server.

By the way, when you right-click My Documents, Properties, and type in a new location [C:\Shared Documents or F:\Shared Documents], you are prompted to move everything from My Documents to the new location. Choosing No leaves My Documents intact (with Music, Photos, etc), and simply creates, if necessary, the new folder. Thus the default Save location for all applications is now the Shared Documents folder.

dtswereme

dtswereme

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The way I described changing the Excel save location must not have been clear enough. Changing the default save directory while in Excel, using the Excel options, in no way changes the functionality of My Documents. I do not right click my documents to make property changes nor rename or move My Documents. When saving files other than Excel, My Documents is still the default save location.

This solution works apparently for any of the Office Suite programs, here is a link for Power Point 2003 for example: http://malektips.com..._2003_0016.html

Or do a web search by typing: change default save location
Thanks again, Gail, I'm done, it works, I'm happy. Proving once again that even a blind squirrel finds an acorn occasionally.