Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Runs SLOW when using SATA Drive

• Please log in to reply

secondsabre

secondsabre

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hey guys!

So, I recently purchased a new computer, a whole box, with enough goodies (or so I thought) to last me quite some time and keep me more than satisfied.

Upgrading from my old system, a PIII 500 that originally shipped with Win98 SE, to a shiny new AMD 2.0 Ghz system was gonna be a dream. of course, I've put way too much work into my old system to let everything go to waste, so I decide to port my hard drives across to the new computer (physically move them, mind you, not Ghosting).

After a whole 'nother fiasco involving moving a Windows issue with moving WinXP installations from Intel-based systems to AMD-based systems, I finally got my two IDE hard drives (a Seagate 15 GB, and a Maxtor 200 GB) moved into my new computer, which also has a 250 GB SATA drive.

Upon boot, the new Asus mobo recognizes the IDE's as master and slave, and boots the SATA to drive F, which is just fine with me. Now, the big problem is that whenever my SATA drive is in use, my computer slows down terribly. The mouse moves in small jumps, processing time on anything is *massive*, my CPU usage shoots up to 100%, 98% of which is being used by 'system idle processing'. I first noticed it when attempting to burn an image file from the drive, when the max DVD burn speed it could achieve was below 2.0x, and then also started to attribute other problems to it, like a weird dragging to my music at random times, or super-slowdown in games and movies.

Upon running it through a benchmark, I found that the write/read speed was clocking about 4MB/s, which is ridiculously slow for anything, never mind SATA. I found some stuff online about IDE drives running at 4MB/s, and it being some old setting in Windows, but nothing about SATA.

I'd appreciated any advice or ideas, and I'm more than willing to give any additional info you require.

Arigato,
Kirk Sabre

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Unplug the IDE drives (especially the 15Gb one) and see if performance increases. The age of those drives with their (by modern standards) limited data throughput is often enough to slow the system down heavily.

secondsabre

secondsabre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Sorry, I don't quite follow.

Why would unplugging the IDE drives, which are working fine, affect the performance of the SATA drive, which isn't even on the same system?

Also, the other problem is my Windows installation lives on my 15GB IDE.

I'm willing to try, but I'd like to know the logic behind the steps before I have to ghost 15 GB of program files, Windows, and settings. Feel free to get as technical as you need to. =p