Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

missing file <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

• Please log in to reply

gore1283

gore1283

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
hello all

i am working on a friend laptop computer i can not give you to many spects because i can't get into the windows to find out what the computer spects are but this i do know:

it is a hp pavillon ze2000
running window xp home

ok this is the message i am getting when i turn the computer on:

windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

i have put the application and driver recovery dvd and it does no good. :whistling: i have totally forgotten how to start up in safe mode so i am like omg what do i do now. i will have to wait for her to come home from work to get the reformat cd from her if i need it. but i really don't know what to do now. can someone please help me here my friend will go nuts without her computer. :blink: plus i am trying to save her money by trying to fix it myself. she has 3 kids and i supect it was the 3year old that did this to her computer he wont keep his hands off and she wont turn it off eather. :help::)

thanks for reading and or answering my post :help::)

Advertisements

gore1283

gore1283

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
ok i went to another help site i have the computer up in safe mode i am waiting on them to tell me what to do next. thanks for looking anyway. :whistling::blink:

one more question how do i remove this post from the board it no longers needs anyone to help i would like to close it or something??????

nickyboy1

nickyboy1

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Hi, try from start - run, type in the box:- sfc/scannow and have the XP cd ready to put in your drive to replace the corrupt file. :whistling: Hope this helps

gore1283

gore1283

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
thanks nickyboy1

but i am unable to get to windows at all i am stuck in the black screen with message that the file is missing or currpeted. :whistling: there is no way to get to start. oh yes i finally got it in safe mode but there was no icons or start. it was a black screen with safe mode text in the cornors. :blink: i had to get out of by turning the computer off that was the only way out i even pressed the window button and all. :help:

gore1283

gore1283

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
ok just look at this post as solved i know what to do from the other site.

thanks so much for you help and for looking at my post.:whistling:

nite all

nickyboy1

nickyboy1

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
:whistling: Ok now try a windows repair. This will require a windows update after the repair. :blink: Boot from your XP CD . At the opening screen:- Welcome to setup press ENTER, at the next screen press F8, at the next screen Windows XP setup press R. Dont press R on the opening screen, that says to repair windows etc. :help: Hope this Helps

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Before we land up doing a repair install not only that I would not recommend a repair install due to it is considered a bandaid. A repair install reinstalled your windows folder and writes over the regestry some of your programs may/ or may not work and you may or may not create more issues doing this lets first.

Boot to the recovery console.
Here is some possible fixes

First lets try rebuilding your boot config to do this follow the instruction in the link below. I would give you mine but it is not fully written yet.
Use this link to rebuild your boot config