Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless print networking

• Please log in to reply

sloth88

sloth88

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Not sure if this belongs here or in the networking forum...I'm setting up a wireless network with 10 laptops for our school. I'm using a linksys wireless network adapter, and have set up the network so the computers recognize it with no problem. As part of the package we have a Lexmark laser printer and a Lexmark wireless printer adapter. The directions tell me to run the software for the print server first, but the print server will recognize the network but won't connect to it. Since I've never set up a wireless print server before, I have a dumb question. Everything I'm reading tells me that the printer has to be physically connected to a pc and then the printer can be shared. (I've done that on our wired LAN at work, but this is on a cart...we don't want to have anything hardwired if possible.) Is this necessary? Any ideas on how to resolve the problem?
We're running WinXP pro & these are brand new Gateway laptops.
Also...this is odd. When I'm trying to configure the wireless print server, I plug it in to a laptop and run the software. When I first plug it in, the print server has all 3 lights lit (power, usb (although there's nothing plugged in to it) and wireless signal lights). Within about 30 seconds, the light for the wireless signal on the print server disappears, although the network is still up and running. Also, I get a little chime like I've unplugged a piece of hardware.
Any advice is much appreciated.

Advertisements