Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD-RW disappears

• Please log in to reply

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
I have a DVD-RW and a CD-R, but when I put a blank DVD-R in to make a DVD, it shows that it's a CD and NERO will not burn to it. I tried reinstalling NERO, updating and still nothing.

On my BIOS, when I start the computer it says that I have a DVD-RW as master and a CD-R as a slave. But whenever I put a blank DVD in, the icon changes to CD-ROM. The CD-R works fine, it's just the DVD-RW that disappears.

I ever tried deleting the the upperfilter and lowerfilter in the registry, which caused me to repair my registry.

I have Win XP SP2 with all the updates, I just update NERO, I have 6.6.15a. My DVD-RW is a NEC 2500a, with firmware 1.09.

After 6 hours of messing with it, I'm at a lost at what it could be. Any help is welcomed.

Advertisements

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
It's an age thing. This getting old business is getting old.

I had some DVD+RW sitting on the shelf, so I tried them and you'll never guess what happened???

That's right, NERO picked it right up and everything is working fine.

Have no idea why DVD-R will not work, but DVD+RW work fine.

NOTE to self. buy only DVD+R or DVD+RW for now on.

Thanks you can close this topic.