Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

COD multiplayer problem!

• Please log in to reply

Carling999

Carling999

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I just bought COD and played it for a couple of days Single Player and it worked just fine but when I tried to play on the internet and started the MP game nothing happened. I found the game when I pressed ctrl + alt + del but I could'nt close the game... Please help me!

Advertisements

ELIRANCH

ELIRANCH

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Try to install the game again...
Check your internet connection and your hardware and give us more information about your computer...

Carling999

Carling999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
OK!
My Computer:
Intel Pentium 4 3,2 GHz
512MB Ram
Radeon X600
Windows XP Home Edition SP2

I have got a new working 1 mb internet connection (should be 8 mega but I think my ISP screw up again :tazz: )

I'll try to reinstall the game...

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
when you reinstall, There are actually 2 patches you must apply or things will go very wrong for you.

COD v1.5 patch must be applied FIRST
http://www.maps-n-mo...p=getit&lid=763

then (if you have united offensive installed)

COD:UO v1.51 patch must be applied
http://www.maps-n-mo...p=getit&lid=764

Yes you must apply both patches or you will have some major issues.

Next, you need to update punkbuster for Call of Duty by using pbweb.exe
This is the executable for Punkbusters Client side AUTO UPDATING using WINDOWS Operating Systems:
http://www.evenbalan...loads/pbweb.exe

Be sure to save the pbweb.exe into the home "pb" folder (C:\Program Files\Call of Duty\pb) on your hard drive and then launch PBWEB.exe. If PBWEB is not launched from inside the home "pb" directory/folder, then it will not work.

This is the easiest way to AUTO update Punkbusters from the player/client side. The game server does NOT update ALL of your game files. This way will do that for you!

I would recommend doing this even if your not having problems or if your having 999 problems along with No Packet Flow errors & PB Initialization Failures.

This can take a little while to run........this is typical!

once you do all of that let us know if it works.

Starjax

Griff

Griff

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
X600 does NOT work for CoD, i found this out hard way, went thru 2 x600 cards, just get somthing else, i dont have awnser, but im gunna get an x700

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
also we will need to know what your system specs are (processor, memory, video card).

Griff

Griff

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
mine are eh...
3.0 ghz
sp2
scandard dell PSU (dunno what it is, cant be that great)
stupid integrated GFX until i can find a card that works with my computer
PCIx16 slot no AGP

Edited by Griff, 08 April 2005 - 09:22 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Carling, Since I haven't seen any responses, I am going to answer griff's questions:

Griff, what model dell do you have?

I just happend to be dell certified and have supported them for a long time. Thier power supplies are generally pretty decent, but I would need to look up the system to see what they say its ratings are to be sure. The other issue is that sometimes they use proprietary power supplies. Dell normally uses a standard power supply, just varies on how its installed.

as to the x600. it should be able to play cod just fine. Only the mobility (laptops) have a problem running cod. since you have already sent it back I would wait and get a x800. by mid-summer they should be close to your price range.

I have also looked at the 6600. I have not seen anyone post problems with this card and cod.

Griff

Griff

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have a 4700

I thought that splinter cell being more demanding would be the one to make the x600 crash, but it worked fine on SSPT and Americas army, just not on CoD. Im about 3 clicks away from buying the x700 now, if you think its the way to go once you post 'yes' i will buy it. (and also SWAT 4 :tazz:. if not explain what all i need to do please. like power sullpy and all, i really dont want to kill my pocket tho.

and the x700 im looking at is right here, on sale. i havent heard much about this company if you could also help thanks.
http://www.newegg.co...-123-148&depa=1

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
that is a pretty good deal. x700 certainly stands out above the x600. All the reveiws that I looked up show the x700 perfroming with at least 2x the frames that the x600 can do.

hmmmm.. hopefully I can afford the x800 by end of summer, but if not the x700 certainly stands a good look at.

good luck.

Starjax

Advertisements

Griff

Griff

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
so you think i should buy it? will work on my 4700 and all with its PSU, which i believe is 300w
Would do x800 but it gotta come down in price
oh ya, and is ABIT a ok company to buy from? they trusted and have good products, or does no one really know?
thanks

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
abit is a solid manufacture. been around for a while. well known for their motherboards.

300watt should be enough. if you want to get an x800 (for about 2x what the x700 is) then you might want to look into a new power supply.

found this artle about the power supply on dell's site

Griff

Griff

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks again for all of your help man, im going to go ahead and get the x700, and wait a while for the x800 (save money for that and new PSU, also more RAM by then)
thanks for your time

Carling999

Carling999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I haven't been home during the weekend but i'n reinstalling COD with Patches right now.

I know X600 doesn't really work the way it's supposed to, I have played a pirat version of COD on my computer and the X600 card crashed several times ;) but otherwise it worked fine :tazz: .

Carling999

Carling999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Now i have reinstalled the whole game with all the atches and it still wont work!!! :tazz:

I think i will go to the store and try to get a new CD if it's something wrong on that one ore something... ;)