Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Best choice of Wi-fi card

• Please log in to reply

Ben Garman

Ben Garman

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi guys and gals,

I have a souped up dell E520 (specs below) and have so far been using a NETGEAR router DG834Gv3 (54mbps) in combination with a USB wifi adapter by the same brand, NETGEAR WG111v2. However, recently my connection seems much less consistent and slower.

I have taken several steps to ensure my computer is entirely free of Malware, so it is not that. I have changed nothing on my computer except i have installed WoW: The Burning Crusade, but i have been playing the original WoW before that with no problems.

I am wondering whether i might have simply over used the NETGEAR USB adaptor as it is rarely off and i am consistently using alot of bandwidth through online gaming, downloads etc. Would a wireless PCI card better suit a desktop and provide a better service and if so, what are your suggestions for cards suitable for my PC/ router?

Thanks so much for your help,

Ben

SYSTEM SPECS:

Dell Desktop E520
MS XP Professional SP 2
nVidia GForce 7300 LE (is it worth upgrading this to 7600 GT?)
Intel Core Duo 1.86Ghz
2GB RAM

Edited by Ben Garman, 05 May 2007 - 06:19 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I use a combined ADSL Modem/Router also made by Netgear (WG834PN) and after upgrading the firmware I noticed my browser taking longer to load pages. I visited the Netgear support pages which advised me to make a note of all my custom Router settings, then press the 'reset' button on the back of the router for approx 20 secs. I did that, went back into the router configuration and restored my custom settings. Hey presto!, original proper speed restored. I'm referring here to the speed of downloading from the internet, not the speed of the wireless link between router and receiver.

If your speed problem is related to the wireless link, and in your specs you only mention one computer, I'm left wondering why you are using wireless at all?

Edited by pip22, 06 May 2007 - 02:35 AM.

Ben Garman

Ben Garman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Yeah well i'm in a household with several computers and the telephone connection is downstairs, so we have wireless router down there so that we can all connect with our computers from upstairs, hence the wireless connection.

But also, whats the difference between a wireless USB adaptor and a Wifi PCI card?

I'll try and do your suggestion, see if it helps. Thanks,

Ben

Edited by Ben Garman, 06 May 2007 - 04:05 AM.