Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

dual boot windows assistance

• Please log in to reply

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Im not very good in this area and in the past i have used GRUB as a boot loader for a dual boot ubuntu and xp, with each on thier own drives inside 1 pc. That has worked like a champ in the past and now i am wanting to dual boot two different hard drives, with each hard drive having thier own seperate installation of windows xp.

I have searched google and all I have found is referrences to buy this or that bootloader and I am sure that there is a way to do this without having to purchase a bootlolader. My question is this?

Is there some way to do this through altering the boot.ini file to list two different drives with each a different xp install.... or is there a way to do this through the recovery console and bootcfg?

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
forgot to add.. what im doing now is I have windows xp on 1 drive and windows xp on the second drive as well. dpepnding on what drive i want to boot into i just unplug power from the other drive and change the boot order in the bios. This is working but is a big pain in the <you know what goes here>..... is why im wanting to figure out how to do this.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Are you still duel booting linux? If so is GRUB not working?