Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Backing up to CD/DVD

• Please log in to reply

Casey76

Casey76

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
OK, so this is a really dumb question about backing up to CD/DVD.

Having lost a whole load of irreplaceable photos when my old laptop went belly up, I'm really paranoid about security and backing up now.

Question 1) Although the CDs are RW, does this mean I can keep adding info to them over a period of time (like a floppy - miss them!) or can I only keep re-recording over the same lot of information?

Question 2) With a DVD-R is it possible to copy from multiple CDs onto 1 DVD?, or again, once 1 CD has been copied does that then prevent othed CDs from being copied onto the DVD?

Question 2a) Since my Laptop only has 1 DVD/CD drive, will I have to buy a second CD drive to read from while the DVD is being written to, or can this be done via the HD?

Although it probably won't take too long to creat 4Gb oh photos, I relly don't want to leave them lying around on my HD... just in case.

Sorry to ask suck a dumb newbie question :tazz:

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Your questions aren't dumb, I think you should ask over in software under applications to get better advice but post what burning software you plan on using.

Basically you can use a cdrw just like a floppy, you can also keep adding to a cdr overtime but it depends on the software you are using.

Sorry can't tell you much more but someone else in applications might be able to.

Rick