Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Questions About Speed

• Please log in to reply

The Amaster

The Amaster

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Just wondering. If I want to upgrade my speed, would that be a new processor? And if so, for a Dell OptiPlex GX100, would I need an Intl or an AMD processor?

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Speed is really a compination of all your parts. Your system parts are listed here: http://support.dell....en/ug/specs.htm. I think that the only thing that would be worth doing to this computer is maybe an extra 512MB stick of RAM. DDR 100mhz is what is what you would need. That along with keeping your computer running a minimal ammount proccesses is about all that will be worth it to you.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I'm sorry but your computer has reached the age were it's time to rebuild. Putting money into that computer will be like burning your cash.
James

The Amaster

The Amaster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well, I'm trying to kinda rebuild. In addition to more speed, I'm upgrading to an 80gig HD, and 512 of RAM. Not sure what else I'm gong to need, though.

Edited by The Amaster, 06 May 2007 - 09:10 AM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Sorry was a little fustrated when I was writing this.....that's the reason for 3 consecutive posts.

Edited by james_8970, 06 May 2007 - 04:38 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
ignore

Edited by james_8970, 06 May 2007 - 04:38 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I'll repeat what I said, it's time to rebuild. The problem is the Ram you are using now or that your going to buy for your current build is not compatable with current uptodate systems. Also the new hard drive will not speed anything up. I'm in the same boat as you. It's time to rebuild. With the competition today, it's much cheaper to buy a computer then what it was a while back.
James

Edited by james_8970, 06 May 2007 - 04:39 PM.