Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Using keyboard FREEZES system!

• Please log in to reply

janalynn64

janalynn64

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Forgive my typing errors - I have to use the onscreen keyboard - Yuck!

All was fine until last night - suddenly, the first key strick on the keyboard freezes the entire system! After several chat sessions with HP tech support, hours of time "troubleshooting," a headache, and a tired clicking finger, I am turning to the experts for HELP!

<1 year old HP Media Center PCm7350n; dual monitor set up (awesome) w/ Samsung flat monitors; APC500 back-up; operating system is XP 5.1 SP2; keyboard & mouse came with computer (both HP); what else?

One thing I did find is a resource issue - in the Device Manager, there is the yellow ! on the "Enhanced Mulmedia PS/2 Keyboard" and it says the device cannot be started (code 10). Then on the resource page, it says that "I/O Range 0060-0060 used by PS/2 compatible mouse," and "...0064-0064..." BTW - no new software, hardware, or changes, except automatic updates from HP &/or Windows. I even tried to restore to earlier time, but it didn't help. I also tried a different keyboard from our oher comp & same probem...

I hope this enough info for someone to help - I'm tired of clicking this mouse! I work from home & can't afford o be down!

Thanx in advance...
Jana

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If it's a wireless keyboard try switcing to a PS2 wired one if your PC has a PS2 kb port (usually found "paired" with a PS2 mouse port next to it near the top at the back of the tower unit. It makes sense to use these ports for mouse & keyboard anyway, since they can't be used for anything else, whereas USB ports have many uses so why 'waste' them on peripherals that already have dedicated ports.

janalynn64

janalynn64

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
thanx pip22, but it is a ps2 wired keyboard already. i dont have any wirless.

I don't understand - everyhing was working fine for 10 months, until yesterday!

Edited by janalynn64, 05 May 2007 - 02:39 PM.