Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovering data from a laptop harddrive

• Please log in to reply

maddogdavies

maddogdavies

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,
Does anyone know how to do the above? I have bought a cable enabling me to connect the laptop HD to my desktop pc, but the drive doesn't seem to be recognized at all, either in Windows or auto-detected in the BIOS. Do I need to manually enter the info in the BIOS?

Advertisements

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
hmm well i use such a cable at work and i havent ever had any problems viewing the hdd as if it was a standard desktop drive when using the cable.
ill have a look at work tuesday see if i can find any reason why not as thats where the stuff is.

maddogdavies

maddogdavies

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you, sir. Much obliged.

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
well i asked work collegues and they all said as i thought that wed never had any problems doing it altho it isnt very frequent, it tends to just work does the hdd def work and cable sorry to be such little help?

maddogdavies

maddogdavies

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The drive works, but I can't really test the cable as I only have the one drive to attach to it...it's a new one, so it should be ok (especially as I paid £12 for it)!

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
have used such a cable once, successfully(last year).
don't remember all of the details, but here's one thing to check: the read stripe on the new cable goes to pin 1 on the hard drive which will most likely be adjacent to the red wire on the power connector when both are connected.
I hope this small bit of info helps.

maddogdavies

maddogdavies

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok- I'll double check that. It's easy to overlook the simple stuff.

Thanks!