All of my music (mp3, games, streams, etc) stutters during playback. I don't know why or when this started occurring.
This is my system:
Windows XP Home
10k RPM hard drive
Sound Blaster 5.1 PCI sound card
3GB page file, only 277MB used
2-4% CPU usage at any given time
Sound card on IRQ 18 with SATA hard drive controller
This is what I have done to try to combat the problem:
2) Download the newest drivers for everything
3) Try different program (WMP, RealPlayer, iTunes, etc)
4) Move the file to different hard drive
5) Scan for spyware using Hijackthis, Ad Aware, Spy Sweeper, and MS Defender
6) Move the PCI card to a different slot (won't work because of ACPI)
So as a last resort I changed the driver for "Computer" in the device manager to "Standard PC." It tells me I need to restart the computer afterwards.
When I restart the computer it starts up Windows and presumably starts reinstalling drivers (in addition to telling me Windows needs to be re-activated).
After it is done, it tells me to restart the computer to finish everything.
OK - HERE IS WHERE THE PROBLEM BEGINS!!!
At this point I have two options (I have tried both with the same results):
1) Restart the computer, which locks up on the Windows XP black screen (eventually the green squares just stop moving and never start up again). Trying to start in safe mode does not work either. The only way I can get back into Windows is to choose last known good configuration, which leads me in a loop of going back to Windows, reinstalling all drivers, and asking me to reboot, etc....going back in a circle.
2) Choose no to restarting the computer and play my music. Now the SB card is on IRQ 11 and NO SKIPPING AT ALL!!!
So my questions are:
1) How can I make the computer work with Standard PC enabled, or
2) What else can I do or program can I use to move the IRQ of the Sound Card or SATA controller, or otherwise fix this annoying problem?
My stipulations are:
1) No complete re-install of Windows
Any help that fixes this problem could eventually end up in some sort of PayPal payment for you. This is how pissed I am right now.