Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer keeps restarting

• Please log in to reply

Sybarite

Sybarite

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My computer keeps restarting itself. I have an IBM Netvista 2276 (A20i), with a BCM-IN810P 370 motherboard. I am running Windows ME. I first noticed that about Jan. that my Windows Help, System Information and System restore files were gone. I found an old system info file on the internet and installed it (works). I moved my system restore files from the cabs and got it to work again. But I never got the Windows help to work. Then the power supply fan went out. I replaced the power supply fan (works). The temps using speedfan utility prior to power supply fan change were: Test#1. F1-32C, F2-59C, F3-65C. Test#2. F1-47C, F2-69C, F3-58C. AFTER power supply fan change using speedfan: Test#1. F1-25C, F2-46C, F3-66. Test#2. F1-29C, F2-48C, F3-65C. Computer still restarts by itself. So I entered F1-Bios setup utility, my shutdown temp is 75C. First Bios temp log is current CPU temp 40C, current system temp 30C, CPU and power fan RPM;s were 5532. Second Bios temp log is CPU temp 45C, system temp 35C, fan speeds the same 5532. Speedfan shows a third temp but Bios setup does not. In Bios setup the computer DOES NOT restart, left it in bios for 45 minutes. But upon restarting in normal mode the computer restarts and enters into a scan disk because of an improper shutdown. I have run the computer with the side case off and a fan blowing into it to no avail. Thanks SY

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I would investigate the possibility if the PSU itself being (or becoming) worn out and ready for changing. When only the BIOS setup is running the PSU is not being stressed and can manage to keep the machine running. With Windows and all components running, however, the PSU has much more work to do and may no longer be able to manage it stably enough. Just a hunch based on what you've said.