Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New graphics card work in old computer?

• Please log in to reply

Naveb

Naveb

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
hello,

my previous card was a geforce256 which is now unusable

my comp is Pent III 866mhz, 256mb ram. i think my motherboard is a VIA APollo PRO133 Socket-370

the slot i want to put the graphics card in is the AGP slot. it supports 1x / 2x bus mode.
Chipset = 1.5V AGP2x

i was wondering if this card would work ATI RADEON™ 9550

main features
4 parallel pixel pipelines
2 programmable vertex shader pipelines
128-bit dual-channel DDR memory interface
AGP8x/4x

http://www.sapphiret...r...id=56&grp=2

i only intend to use the comp to listen to music and watch videos (vids arent that important). i dont intend to play games. i dont mind if the speed is really slow as long as windows can run.
it might be a waste of a card, but its the lowest one i can find, and there is a limited range where i live.

thanks

Edited by Naveb, 07 May 2007 - 04:07 AM.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Based on the specifications you have provided, I would say "no". You said the mobo AGP slot is 2x, the graphics card is 8x/4x.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Yeah quite often a 8x/ 4x will not work in that situation. You should either look for a 2x card or maybe a 2x/4x card. the 2x/4x should be compatibly but not 100% guaranteed.... some boards just dont' work well with newer cards. For a 2x card you would probably have to go surplus somewhere but you can still get 2x/4x cards around...

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Yeah quite often a 8x/ 4x will not work in that situation. You should either look for a 2x card or maybe a 2x/4x card. the 2x/4x should be compatibly but not 100% guaranteed.... some boards just dont' work well with newer cards. For a 2x card you would probably have to go surplus somewhere but you can still get 2x/4x cards around...