Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which firewall?

• Please log in to reply

chel-dufc

chel-dufc

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi. I have recently installed avg free antivirus and antispyware and am now looking for a free firewall. Which is best and would be compatible with the avg? I uninstalled mcafee security suite as i no longer trust it. Thanks for your time.

Advertisements

DabCol

DabCol

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Comodo Free Firewall
A full professional Program

Please Note!
System Requirements possibly only suitable for Windows XP [Please recheck this???]

The Comodo Firewall as rated by PC Magazine Online as an Editor's Choice,
Download from Web Site,
http://www.comodogro...e_products.html

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Zone Alarm free. (Good decision to get rid of McAfee security)

http://www.majorgeek..._Free_d388.html

Edited by zbd, 07 May 2007 - 09:10 AM.

chrisa23

chrisa23

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
bad i think its good not the best but better than AVG (free) and paid but AVG is one of the best free av's out there so i think that was at least 1 good choice :whistling: for spyware thou u should also get somehting like adware or spybot S&D and for firewalls comodo sounds good, or also sygate or even zonealarm u can pick :blink: but i have sygate firewall and so far its been working out for me if it fails on something i'll switch to comodo or zonealarm firewall...............

Edited by chrisa23, 07 May 2007 - 03:07 PM.

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
The free sygate firewall is no longer being developed although still available from shareware sites (Symantec bought it then promptly killed it off) so it's not one I'd recommend. ZoneAlarm or Comodo are really the only ones worth considering for a free firewall. Comodo has the edge I think because it uses less memory which is important for those running XP on 512Mb RAM or less. Consequently, Comodo firewall loads quicker when Windows starts and has less impact on application launch times compared to ZoneAlarm. This is based on my own experience of using them both, not simply what I've read somewhere.

chel-dufc

chel-dufc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello and thank you all for your opinions and advice. I think I will go try the Comodo as I have used Zone Alarm before and it kind of confused me, Im not too good with all this stuff! The reason I uninstalled McAfee is that when I ran a Panda scan it found virus and spyware the McAfee did not pick up. AVG free did! Is the AVG free antispyware not a good option then? Should I try something else? Thanks again.