Following a malware attack i sought help from SPYbot who successful helped me to eliminate the threat and patched my machine up to SP2 however as a consequence non of my USBs are even seen by the machine let alone working.
The longer history of what has happened can be found at spybot
My machines USBs were working fine, normally I have a webcam around the back and permanently linked ( no external power) again around the rear of the machine I have an external hard drive often turned off but powered externally.
Not sure but I may have 2 more ports at rear and certainly 2 at the front but neither have had anything in them long term apart from a newly bought memory stick at the front when MP3 were transferred.
My mouse keyboard printer and internet are all connected via other means.
All peripherals were working before patching and removal of malware.
- I did a virus scan and got rid of some nastys with spybot. All peripherals still working.
- I then did the automatic updates but not including SP2 , reboot and still all usbs are working.
- Although the automatic update did not pick it up i was requested to find SP1a. This i found manually down loaded and initiated from the folder downloaded. rebooted
- I then cleaned the cookies. At this point i wanted to listen to some music on my hard drive only to find that it was not working
- still wishing to clear the malware and upgrade i pursued the upgrading path to SP 2 it was also suggested that SP 2 might bring the USBs back on line.
- SP2 upgraded and rebooted several times to take on more upgrades.
- PC patched to current upgardes and SPbot given clean bill of health but still no USBs
- SPYbot suggested that I ask for help here
If i try and plug in any new device via usb they are not found .
There are no messages or warnings it is though nothing is present