Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USBs not working

• Please log in to reply

matchkick

matchkick

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

Following a malware attack i sought help from SPYbot who successful helped me to eliminate the threat and patched my machine up to SP2 however as a consequence non of my USBs are even seen by the machine let alone working.

The longer history of what has happened can be found at spybot

But briefly

My machines USBs were working fine, normally I have a webcam around the back and permanently linked ( no external power) again around the rear of the machine I have an external hard drive often turned off but powered externally.

Not sure but I may have 2 more ports at rear and certainly 2 at the front but neither have had anything in them long term apart from a newly bought memory stick at the front when MP3 were transferred.

My mouse keyboard printer and internet are all connected via other means.

+++++++

All peripherals were working before patching and removal of malware.
  • I did a virus scan and got rid of some nastys with spybot. All peripherals still working.
  • I then did the automatic updates but not including SP2 , reboot and still all usbs are working.
  • Although the automatic update did not pick it up i was requested to find SP1a. This i found manually down loaded and initiated from the folder downloaded. rebooted
  • I then cleaned the cookies. At this point i wanted to listen to some music on my hard drive only to find that it was not working
  • still wishing to clear the malware and upgrade i pursued the upgrading path to SP 2 it was also suggested that SP 2 might bring the USBs back on line.
  • SP2 upgraded and rebooted several times to take on more upgrades.
  • PC patched to current upgardes and SPbot given clean bill of health but still no USBs
  • SPYbot suggested that I ask for help here
Currently I have the hard disc and the webcam plugged in turning on the external power of the drive it whirs around so nothing wrong with its power source. Looking in my computer the drive does not even register or seen neither does the camera, both were visible before upgrades.

If i try and plug in any new device via usb they are not found .

There are no messages or warnings it is though nothing is present

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
In Device Manager, delete everything under the Universal Serial Bus tree. Expand the + next to this and delete everything under it. If you have a "Other Device" with "Universal System Bus" next to it, delete that too. Then there's a button at the top which looks like a picture of a computer with a magnifying glass on it, point at it to say "scan for hardware changes". Click it. Windows will find the USBs again. Let it do all that (keep clicking Next if the "Found New Hardward" wizard comes up) until it tells you the hardware is ready to use. Now try your USBs again.

matchkick

matchkick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks your a *

:whistling: :blink: :help:

devices now working and so its back to listening jimi hendrix on my hard drive!