Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP system restarts during boot, continual cycle

• Please log in to reply

VTJim

VTJim

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
i get beyond the Windows logo and i hear a click, and the system reboots. I tried going into the various Safe Modes, still getting the same problem. When I go into safe mode, it loads up all of the drivers, etc, but someplace during the part of Windows coming up, it causes the system to reboot itself.
is there any way I can get back in or anything I should do?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Do you have xp installation cd, or can you borrow one? Try to check the disk through recovery console.

To reach Recovery Console insert the disk into the cd drive and reboot the computer. Setup Windows screen will show up. If it doesn't, enter BIOS and set the cd drive to be first priority boot device.

Let Setup run until three setup options are shown. Choose Recovery Console by pressing R. When asked for XP installation type 1 (assuming you have only one operating system installed). When asked for password type your password or press Enter if you don't have a passwoed. A black DOS-like screen will show up. At the prompt type chkdsk /r and press Enter. Let the process run to the end.

VTJim

VTJim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I completed this. It reported that errors were fixed. I went to reboot and the same thing happened. Windows XP logo appears, hard drive light shows activity, then i hear a "click" and it reboots itself. Obviously, I would love to be able to get the data off this hard drive, but I guess that would be a last resort. Is there a some sort of repair option in XP or am I barking up the wrong tree? thanks.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
The "Repair Install" also requires the XP CD. Instructions here: http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html Please note that Repair install cannot proceed from a SP1 or earlier CD if SP2 has been subsequently installed on the computer. If that is the case for you, please post back and an explanation will be offered about "slipstreaming SP2." An XP Repair Install is designed to preserve your data.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It is impossible to tell at this moment whether the origin of the problem is hardware or software. Boot the computer and enter into the BIOS tables by repeatedly tapping del or F2. Sometimes it's another key. When entering the BIOS table look for the menu that contains data about the present state of the computer. Let the computer run in this state for about 10 minutes and report cpu, HD and motherboard temperature. Also report if the computer worked for the entire ten minutes.

VTJim

VTJim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
should i proceed with the XP Restore as indicated in Post 4 or jump to the advice about checking the BIOS tables in Post 5? BTW, SP2 is installed and the Restore CD is SP1 - this information was requested in Post 4. thanks, standing by!

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
When you turn your computer on and tap F8 do you have a option to Disable system restart on system failure or something to that matter you may be getting a blue screen.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
No harm in checking the BIOS state. It will be necessary to use a functional computer to create a slipstreamed CD, and it will take a little time.

Download and install an application called "Autostreamer" onto the computer you will be using. It can be removed after you are finished. Get it here: http://www.softpedia...load-13918.html Follow the instructions offered in this guide: http://www.simplygui...ostreamer.shtml

Briefly, it works like this:
1. Copy the contents of the original XP CD to a file on the computer's hard drive.
2. Download Service Pack 2 (full version--see guide) and 'Save" it to a file on the same computer.
3. Open Autostreamer and when prompted, direct it to first the CD file, and then the SP2 file.
4. Let Autostreamer do its job. It will create an ISO file of the "Slipstreamed" result.
5. Use an ISO capable CD burning application to place the ISO file on a CD. If you do not have one, DeepBurner
is free, and worked fine for me: http://www.majorgeek...wnload4055.html

Once you have the newly created CD, you can proceed with the XP Repair install, using the new disc in place of the original XP CD.

I am very interested in what the Skeptic is investigating. It may be that the repair install will not be required. Even so, you may wish to take the time now to create the slipstreamed CD against future need.

VTJim

VTJim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
CPU fan speed 2925 to 2943 RPM
System Fan No Function
I can find no data on temperature. This is an Emachines T2245.
Regarding the SP1 vs SP2 issue, can I run the Windows Repair and then just reload SP2, vice Slipstreaming?

BTW, Tuxmaster, System Restart was set to Off via the BIOS, which is interesting that the system was still auto-rebooting repeatedly. I'm wondering if it could suggest the power supply vice the HD. I metered the power supply during boot and reset and the voltages were about 4.97 and 11.65 VDC, with slight fluctuations.

I then removed the HD and placed an old Win 98 drive into the CPU..it booted fine. I then took the problem child drive and put it as the slave into a Win 98 machine..I was unsure if Win 98 would recognize an XP drive as slave..the system never noticed it (although the BIOS recognized the addditional drive), so my experiment there was semi-inconclusive. Should it work in a Win 98 system? Next I can try it in a Win XP system as a slave I guess??

So, based on my rudimentary skills, I think the drive is bad. Is there a way I can get into it and get at the data? it seems to boot up to a point, then fail, so i think it is not completely dead. Will XP restore help or hurt? I don't care so much about the SP1 vs 2 at this point. If I can offload key data, I will put in a new HD, reload it with the factory config and start over.
thanks

Edited by VTJim, 09 May 2007 - 05:32 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Turn off your computer turn it back on start tapping F8 then when you get to windows advanced options menu please select Disable Automatic Restart on system Failure. This is probably not going to get you to boot however it may or may not tell us if you are getting a blue screen.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I always look in disbelief at computers in which temperatures cannot be read. Even big shots like Dell save the two cents, saving on the sensoer, omitting some of the most useful problem diagnostic tools.

If the computer was stable with the old disk then, I think, there are two options left. it's either the HD or Windows. To give a final answer about the HD condition I would do the following:

1: Open the box, boot the computer and listen carefully to try to lopcate where the click sound comes from. To make it easyier you can remove the HD from the box, keep it attached to the cables and listen carefully.

2: Depending of the make and model of the HD download and create a bootable floppy or CD of the diagnostic program of the manufacturer. Download it from their site. If you need help with this please let us know. Run a complete test and watch the verdict.

To backup your data you can move your HD to another computer with xp installation:

Remove the hard disk from your computer. Open the box of the other omputer and use the flat
cale that connects the HD of the other computer to connect your HD too. Now you will have
both disks attached to the same cable, each getting it's own power supply (a cable with a white
four-lead thick connector at the end). At the back of each HD there is a small jumper (a tiny two
pin connector) that can be set in a number of positions. You can find jumpering configuration
printed on the HD

Jumper both disks as cable select (csl). Your HD must be connected to the second from the end
connector of the flat cable and the other computer's HD must be connected to the end connector.
Alternatively the other disk can be jumpered as master and your disk as slave.

Go to My Computer open"your" disk, copy the data and paste to the other disk.

Regarding windows repair I must admit that I am not too fond with the process eventhough it can save you a format. The reason I don't like it is that many times it ends with many new problems created. Regarding windows slipstreaming I like it even less and regard it as a complex and unreliable process. If you decide to repair windows try it with your present disk. It may work, otherwise you will get a notice that you need another xp version.

VTJim

VTJim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
some progress...running the Seagate/Maxtor drive diagnostics. Got a msg which says Drive Has Been Overtemp 253. That makes me wonder if something in the firmware is tripping a relay, which tries to reboot the drive. I ran the Short Test and it passed. Long Test currently underway.

Also, tried moving the drive as a second drive into our other XP desktop, except that system is Serial ATA and this drive is IDE...sigh. So, that is out unless there is a way to do it. Also, I have an older HD I could format I guess. Is there anyway to load up a very basic XP "shell" on the extra drive (currently WIN 98) so that I can boot it and then get into the failing drive to recover my data? Things were so much easier in the DOS days...

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Did you try to locate the source of the click when the computer reboots?

I don't remember ever seeing the over-temperature note that you see. Touch the HD while it's running the scan and feel if it's too hot. You should be able to touch it comfortably, without any burning sensation.

Practically all modern motherboard that I know off have both sata and ide connectors. Find the ide connection, install the drive and try to backup the data.

Please report the results of the full scan.

VTJim

VTJim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
yes, the click came from within the HD itself. the drive does not feel hot whatsoever. Full scan passed without issues. Currently running XP Recovery. I hope that works. Unfort, it is the XP Home disk from our HP system, as my daughter has misplaced the XP disks which came with her Emachines system. I'm hopeful that it won't look for anything unique to the individual systems...again, i just need it to boot so i can get at the data. i am cautiously optimistic now, given the results of the scan and that the recovery has been proceeding along ok so far.

Regarding the IDE connector on the HP system with the Serial ATA, there was an open connector on the motherboard but the IDE cable I took off of the Emachines had a connector which was too long for the socket. Perhaps there is another one that i missed. if the steps above dont work, i will dive back into the HP (very hard to pull daughter #2 off of "her" computer so I can rip into it!!).
thanks

VTJim

VTJim

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Good News!! I am in. After running XP Recovery, I have full access to the drive. had to seek out new video drivers and install, but i am up and running. I'll start offloading data, then connect to the net to upload SP2. Maxtor's drive diagnostics said there is nothing wrong with the drive but the overtemp indication which was likely caused by bad airflow and too much dust. I will backup all data, restore to former conditions and see how it goes before i invest in another drive.

Thanks to Tuxmaster and The Skeptic, and 1101Doc. I appreciate your various suggestions and responses.
VTJim

Edited by VTJim, 11 May 2007 - 03:12 PM.