Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrading video

• Please log in to reply

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
like i said awhile back i upgraded the agp 6600gt to a pcie 7100gs (ITS WORSE). beings as whats in () im upgrading again, i have never used ati and am wondering if a ati x1600XT Ultimate pcie is better than this 7100gs?

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
oopps hit add instead of edit, my bad.

Edited by james_8970, 06 May 2007 - 08:41 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The ATI card is better, not worth the upgrade though.
James

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
any recs then? my old agp card benched 3times better than this 7100
6600gt agp 1873 fps on one bench
7100gs pcie 870 fps on same

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
What your price range. There are high hopes based on ATI's budget range GPU's, but they are rumoured to be delayed till June for consumer products due to high demand from OEM dealers. I suggest you wait till ATI's range comes out because it should stomp on the lower range (or I hope for ATI's sake) but if it doesn't I'm thinking all the DX9 cards will fall in price.
James

Edited by james_8970, 07 May 2007 - 10:06 AM.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Get a 7600GT, great budget card.

I have two running in SLi on my Crossfire board using the NGO hack. Run well.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

What your price range. There are high hopes based on ATI's budget range GPU's, but they are rumoured to be delayed till June for consumer products due to high demand from OEM dealers. I suggest you wait till ATI's range comes out because it should stomp on the lower range (or I hope for ATI's sake) but if it doesn't I'm thinking all the DX9 cards will fall in price.
James

im thinking around the lines of a x800, i might have already bought one, but i heard this is a hella of a good OCer. and 16 pipelines. thing good?

also i dont have an sli ready board, just sli ready psu

side note: i might have just purchased a alienware laptop for $50 bones, yes 50

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Check out the sticky in the gaming forum here: http://www.geekstogo...ng-t154926.html. $50 is a steal for that even if everything was fried except for the screen.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Check out the sticky in the gaming forum here: http://www.geekstogo...ng-t154926.html. $50 is a steal for that even if everything was fried except for the screen.

trying to get it, also this is a link to the description of the exact card
http://www.hothardwa...imited_Edition/

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Link worked the first time but the second time I clicked it, it was dead. In that sticky I posted it provides another link where it shows the best value for certain price ranges. For the price of that card it suggests the X1650 XT. I did see that newegg has that card you are looking at for $100 as an open box sell.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
to what my friend just told me this specific x800 is able to overclock to the point of running amost equal to the x1900
hopefully noone will bid it up
http://cgi.ebay.com/...I...p;rd=1&rd=1

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I would highly advise against buying computer parts off ebay. Especially when that person only has one feedback from a sale and only 83% overall. I bought a dead board off ebay once from someone with 99% feedback and lots of it. But if you do get it for only $25-30 like it is at now I can see it being worth the risk.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
every computer component i have i have bought off ebay, so far i have 2 things in my pc not from ebay, psu and case. i havent had anything dead yet :blink:, i bought the 5500 pci off there, sold it to a friend and bought the 6600gt off a friend online(not ebay) and bought the 7100 on ebay, sofar so good, thats me as high bidder btw :whistling:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I can tell you that x800 will not come close to reaching the x1900 performance regardless of the version.
James

Edited by james_8970, 07 May 2007 - 05:48 PM.