Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buying GOOD laptop

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

BS_1

BS_1

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
hi im in my last year of school and am thinking of buying a laptop as my Desktop pc is always in use.
of course i want a laptop that can do all the basic stuff (word processing, music, internet) but as i am about to finish my schooling i also want one that can play games and without lagging and screwing up. the games i mean are things like oblivion and WoW.
i am not looking to be playing lots of games like oblivion, but still want a laptop capable of doing so.
also a laptop with big hardrive (around 100gigs) and super fast 1gig RAM minimum.
also would like it to be wireless network/ internet.

i have found an example of a possiblilty of laptop i might buy found in link below:
Dell XPS M1210 Laptop:

http://www1.ap.dell....mp;s=dhs#tabtop

this laptop seems to be a perfect choice for me but i am still unsure about whether it can do EVERYthing i want and also am just wondering if there is another laptop out there which is similar and just as good , and cheaper. im looking to spend around $1,500 but not too much more.

also as this laptops screen size is 12 inch i was wondering if there was someinthg you can add on to it or a replacement screen you can buy or seomitnhg, but thats not really a problem as i can just connect a monitor to it.

also i have heard that Alienware laptops are high powered and good for gaming but are expensive, not really sure about them.

thanks for any help you give

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I was in the same position as you, I have a CyberPower laptop.

Turion X2 1.8GHz Dual Core
2GB DDRII667 RAM
120GB 5400RPM S-ATA HD
nVidia GeForce 7600 Go

This plays all of the newest games, most on highest, some on medium. I'm going onto college with this and I expect it to last another 2 years from now. Have a look http://www.cyberpower.com/ (USA) http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/ (UK). Take a look there!

Edited by SuperSam, 07 May 2007 - 04:13 AM.

BS_1

BS_1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
ok thanks for your ideas
but
ive decided to buy a cheapish but still reasonable laptop for simple gaming and word processing etc until end of school and a bit into uni and then i will buy a top of the line desktop for gaming and high performance
thanks for your help anyway

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
A cheap laptop usually isn't even good for moderate gamming. It should hold you over and be usefull for school though. The laptop equivelent of a gaming desktop can be up to as much as double the price of the desktop.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Just want to note, I think you went the right route because no laptop is really built for high end gaming, if they are, they lose thier portability. Also as already stated a low end laptop might just get you by for gaming. But I want to add one thing that hasn't already been mentioned, if you or anyone else that reads this is planning on a high end laptop, stay away from dells high end (XPS) range, they are overpriced as are Alienware, also owned by dell. You can find better for the same price elsewhere.
James

Edited by james_8970, 07 May 2007 - 10:28 AM.