Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no boot sequence.. need help please;)

• Please log in to reply

lilhellyan

lilhellyan

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi! i guess my driver went bad... and i put another driver in and. it still didnt work.. so i was in the bios... and i went in to boot sequence.. well .. i deleted what was in there... thinking it would detect it when i turned the computer back on.. well it didnt.. when the computer comes on .. it goes to black screen says no boot sequence avalible. then it says hit f1 to try again or hit f2 to go to setup.. and it will not go any furthur.. i have recently had trouble with viruses and the girl in here that has been helping me suggested that i give the link to the page where she was helping me. http://www.geekstogo...ke-t155394.html
my system is a dell and i am running winbdows xp. need anything else just let me know!

thanks, lilhelllyan

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi lilhellyan!

When you get the prompt to hit F1 or F2, hit F2 to enter SETUP. Once in there, look for the option to RESET DEFAULTS. Once you find it, select it (Either by hitting the ENTER key or hitting one of the Function keys. Select YES to the message about whether or not you are sure you want to set factory defaults. Then EXIT out of setup and let the computer reboot. It should then find your windows installation and boot up.

Fenor

lilhellyan

lilhellyan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
HI! i have looked and looked for reset default... and i dont see it any where in there. i have been in every thing in there over and over. and i just don't see it anywhere.... idk.. do you know where it could be in there? thanks lilhellyan

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
While in SETUP, look on the bottom of the screen. It may list the Function key to preset to RESET DEFAULTS or some similar wording. Press that key and select YES to any warnings. Then exit setup, SAVING CHANGES, and let the computer reboot.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 07 May 2007 - 03:38 PM.

lilhellyan

lilhellyan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
HI! OK. i figured out how to reset to default. on a dell u have to push alt and the f button at the same timein the setup... ok. now.. when it comes on it. just flashes - at the top of the black screen. nothing else on the page. thanks! lilhellyan;)

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Can you describe that a little better please? I can't understand what is exactly happening. Also, go back into the setup and see if it is detecting your hard drive.

Fenor

lilhellyan

lilhellyan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi! yes. it is detecting the hard drive. hmm.. when i turn on the computer. it comes up the dell screen.. and then it goes to a black screen after that and it just a (-) blinking line up at the top left of the screen and nothing else. and it will just blink until i turn it off. and then i do it again and it just does the same thing over and over.. i am able to go in the boot.. and i try to boot from the hard drive and it goes back to the black screen with the blinking line (-) .. and i pu tmy dell dignostic cd in .. and i go to boot from the cd and it does.. and i tested the drive and it passed the test. i guess i have to jumper set right.. according to the label on the front of it there should be no jumper piece on it. i hope this helps us! thanks a bunches! lilhellyan

lilhellyan

lilhellyan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hi again! i have also just tried to reinstall windows xp. and it does good. gets to the part where it says windows will now restart the computer to finish install. well when it comes back up... .it goes to the black screen with the blinking (-) dash.. thanks Lilhellyan

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
That means the video card is bad. Either the onboard or the pci/agp/pci-e video card installed on your computer. I suggest that you get a new video card to attach to the AGP or PCIe x16 slot if you have one.

Fenor

lilhellyan

lilhellyan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
ok.. if the video card is bad .. i would not be able to see the setup that windows xp cd was doing right? also . i have hooked up 2 other hard drives.. but they are bad i guess. but they do not do the flashing line thing. one of the disk drives comes up a blue screen .. and the other one comes up ans says the drive was not found then says hit f1 or f2 to continue and then it does nothing.then i hook that one back up and it just does the flashing line. anything else it could be? the video card is practially new.. i dont think it could be that. thanks! lilhellyan

lilhellyan

lilhellyan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
HI! i fixed the problem! i had to reformat the hard drive and reinstall windows.. thanks for ur help!!! you all do a great job in this forum! if i have any more troublws i will be comming here!! thanks! lilhellyan