Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Trouble with transfer

• Please log in to reply

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
The thing I was trying to accomplish was transfer all e-mail and settings over to a new Hard Drive. The old configuration was on a drive labled E: (instead of C:) I used the Microsoft Transfer my settings wizard and moved all the files to the same corresponding locations on C:

Now when I open the Outlook program I get the Message Windows No Disk Error. So I looked at the Data settings and changed all the ones I could find to C:/ as opposed to E:/

I still get the error. Is there a way to undo this action but keep the new received e-mail and everything.

The Hard drive for some reason won't let us chkdsk or defrag.

Thanks in advanced

System: Windows XP SP2

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi Immortalarena.

What version of Outlook is it?

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Outlook 2003, intention would be upgrading to 2007 in a while

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Okay. It sounds like the Data Files need to be removed.

Go to Control Panel, Mail, Data Files. Do you have anything listed there? I'm betting so. Highlight each one then click Remove. This will allow Outlook to open without hunting for your data files.

If that fixes the issue, go back to Control Panel, Mail, Data Files and add all your PST files back.

Please post the results.

Not being able to run CHKDSK or Defrag worries me. Please start a new thread for this issue in the Windows XP forum. That way the good WXP techs will see your issue and be able to assist. Also, be as specific as possible, listing any errors you get and at exactly which point in either process you get them.

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Thanks,

I did already remove the Data files and add the new ones back in. It took the errors from 13-15 to 3. Is there another place to look?

I did a search on the registry and nothing came up in the settings.

If the pst file was the only thing used would all the settings in Outlook stay the same or would I have to re-create folders and stuff? That was the reason I used the Data Transfer wizard, to preserve settings, but if I could get around that somehow, then that would be cool, I could just uninstall and re-install Office.

Thanks, I'm going to try to uninstall a few things that we added to the system before chkdsk stopped working and see if one of them was the cause, then I will post another topic if that should not work.

Also real quick, what is your opinion on System Restore? I've never really used it, but is it a useful tool, or trouble like I think it is.

Thanks

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I'm not sure what folders you talking about. The PST file holds the data. The Mail Profile holds the account settings.

When you removed all the PST files, were you able to open Outlook?

I think it would be beneficial to add a new mail profile from scratch and see what happens. You will need your email account settings for this. Close Outlook. Click Start, Control Panel, Mail, Show Profiles. On the General tab, click Add to create a new e-email profile. Give the new profile a new, then click next until you get to the Server Type screen. Check your e-mail type. Fill in all your e-mail account settings. When you get back to the General tab, change Outlook's start-up option to "Prompt for a profile to be used". This will ensure you start with the new profile when you re-open Outlook. If you're not prompted, reboot and then open Outlook.

Now you can add back the PST files one at a time, opening Outlook in between, to pinpoint which one may be the problem.

If that didn't help, uninstall/reinstall Outlook.

Regarding System Restore: it's wonderful. Here's a link that explains what it does. It is not a Full System Backup.

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Thanks, I found there was a drive E on the computer still, (A removable card reader) I changed it to K and it solved the problem. It's no longer saying anything, so I think we are good. Everything is good now though, If anything ever goes wrong again I will try some of the other ideas you posted. Thanks for all the help.