Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Disconnects

• Please log in to reply

susu7

susu7

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have been having the same problem as you all. I have an HP pavillion, and recently installed Verizon. After I started using Verizon, my computer started disconnecting if I was inactive on the internet for a while. The ipconfig /release and renew didn't work, Verizon says it isn't them. It almost makes me want to go back to dialup -- almost. Is there a "thing" that times out after a while?

Advertisements

beethoven

beethoven

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

I have been having the same problem as you all. I have an HP pavillion, and recently installed Verizon. After I started using Verizon, my computer started disconnecting if I was inactive on the internet for a while. The ipconfig /release and renew didn't work, Verizon says it isn't them. It almost makes me want to go back to dialup -- almost. Is there a "thing" that times out after a while?

I'm not the expert. I'm one of the people having the problem, but I have three quick questions to make sure if this is the same issue. Is it actually disconnecting or just acting as if it is disconnected? Do other programs besides browsers (messenger, outlook) work when this happens? Do you have to be inactive or can it happen other times? For me it can happen even when I'm using it the heaviest....

susu7

susu7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I don't know what you mean by "actually disconnecting or just acting as if it is disconnected". I get disconnected from the internet, but my computer does not completely shut down; I have to restart the computer if I want to get on the internet. I can use programs like PhotoShop Elements and other things that aren't dependent on the internet; I don't use messenger and outlook, so I can't answer that. I mostly play around on my computer. I find if I spend too much time on one site it goes out. I don't know the timing, but it seems to be like the screen saver. If you sit idle for a certain amout of time, your screen save pops up. If I sit on one site too long, the internet disconnects.

beethoven

beethoven

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
First off, how did you get this to be another whole topic? Did a moderator do that or did you? Secondly, what I meant by "actually disconnecting or just acting as if it is disconnected" was this. Is the connection completely gone? If you go into the internet connections settings are you actually 100% disconnected or are you just not able to load any pages?

susu7

susu7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I don't know the answer to either question.