Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

mouseOver images not loading

• Please log in to reply

lloyd5867

lloyd5867

• Pip
  • 9 posts
ok straight to the point.

im designing a page for my school website.
im using a mouseOver technique thats is supposed load an image when your mouse goes over the text. that image is supposed to stay until you go over the other text.
im editing using dreamweaver but mostly notepad, when i view the html file it works. but as soon as the site is updated
it doesnt work. can anyone tell me what i should do?

thx much

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Can you post a URL for us to check? Are you just having problems with images not showing after uploading page?

Ron

lloyd5867

lloyd5867

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
well the image is supposed to load when your pointer goes over the text and its not. the html work it just wont work online.
heres the link to the page:
http://www.wpusd.k12.../Page/Home.html

you can either click the projects page or the photo gallery

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
OK. Your images are trying to load on mouseover, but either the path is incorrect or the image file names are wrong. You also have spaces in your folder names:

http://www.wpusd.k12...e/Projects.html

Try making your names so " %20 " doesn't have to be used, i.e., 3D_Page. You also have lots of coding errors on every page. Will help you on your project, but will need to get image paths straighten out, as well as, errors in coding. Do you really want all that underling on your titles? Looks bad and is mis-leading since links usually get underlined in some way.

Ron

lloyd5867

lloyd5867

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
the underlined links dont bother me... but if there was another way to point out that it was the title of the page then that would be fine.

like i said before the pages worked in html view but when the page is uploaded then it doesnt want to load them.
ill try the underscores.

where are the coding errors that you observed?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I wasn't worried about the underlined links. How you want your titles with underlining is also up to you. But, your images are trying to load. The paths are not correct as I only get an image placement on the page for each mouseover. Are all your images stored in same place as image on home page:

http://www.wpusd.k12.....tures 123.jpg

You really need to lose the spaces in your folders and file names. Try to make your paths a little simpler like put all your images in one folder. Call it what ever you want, but "imgs" would be short and less code to write. Put it as a sub-folder of "school_sites" if you want. As to all the coding errors on each page, please use w3c.org's Validation Service (path to Projects page errors to start). Your CSS validated ok. I'll help you with code errors, but first I'll try to find your correct path to your images. I hope the image file names are correct.

Ron

P.S. For this code:

<p align="left"><a href = "./communityservice.html" onmouseover = "doButtons('lincolnmanor')"><font face="Bookman Old Style" color=#E55451>Community Service</font></a></p>

is lincolnmanor your image that loads on mouseover?

Edited by Major Payne, 11 May 2007 - 01:35 PM.

lloyd5867

lloyd5867

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
yes lincoln manor is my image i could send you a copy of the folder that i am working out of. i work in the foldr then it is transfer to the server.

its not just the mouseOver images either its all the images that are not in the folder with the webpage directly. i was hoping to eliminate having to jumble all the images together. alot of them are labled the same names and such.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
A list of full paths to your mouseover images would be fine for now. The lincolnmanor will not work as browser does not know that's an image. Try lincolnmanor.jpg or whatever the extension is. As for having images in different folders with same name, if they all are the same image and of the same size, then you should put them in one folder. You're making things more complicated then they should be. I like the KISS method.

Ron

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The best course in this situation is to put some script on the page to preload the images you are using for mouseover. Then not only will they work, they will work very crisply even with a dial up connection. Just google for preload script.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Thanks Tyger, for input which should be used later when pages are done. Right now there is a problem, not with the images not loading so much, but the correct path to the image and once found, to make sure file names are correct. Images do need prefetching once all is working correctly. I just haven't spent much time tracking down where the mouseover images are. They are not going to show up using an image file name like lincolnmanor. Stick with this theme and give a hand.

Ron