Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer just...shuts off on boot

• Please log in to reply

Link83

Link83

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Ok so I had some weird power surge in my neighboor hood and the computer went dead...i know i know surge protector ect.

Anyway. I got a new power supply and hooked everything back up. The computer now starts up but it beeps twice and says "floppy diskette seek failure"

Ive never had a floppy installed on my computer.

So i try to get into the set up and boot sequences and after a solid 2 minutes the computer just shuts off and the power light turns from green to a blinking yellow.

Any clues????

-Link

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you have replaced the power supply with a new one with at LEAST the same WATTS as the old one...and it won't stay powered up so that you can play in the bios ..you probably hurt the mobo bad...
life teaches some hard lessons...get a GOOD surge protecter or you will have similar problems in the future...

Link83

Link83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
nah its not the motherboard.

The power supply is the exact same spec as the original...i ordered the part from dell.

I got to run a check on power up because the computer keeps asking for floppy diskette drive.

The computer starting some random fix thing and it shut off.

I powered the computer back up to try again...but it started up right into windows.

So the computer is now functional and working as before.

The only thing that is completely odd now is that the computer thinks it has a floppy drive installed.

It actually shows up in "my computer" and everything!

Upon startup it still say "floppy diskette seek failure" but i just hit f1 to move past it and the computer starts up normally. I just dont understand why the computer thinks there is a floppy in there.

/shrug

Oh well the computer still workds perfectly it just thinks it has a floppy =P

Edited by Link83, 08 May 2007 - 11:54 AM.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Boot into the BIOS. There you should be able to tell the computer there is no floppy drive. Just to get rid of that stuff.

Link83

Link83

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Yeah thats the other thing....

I went into the BIOS and the floppy is already described as (not present) but it had a number 1 next to it in the boot sequence.

So I took that out of the boot sequence...I guess ill have to take another look around.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Sometimes there is a setting called report no floppy to windows.... you could look for that.... You also may want to reset the bios to defaults.... if you got a surge like that it could have done some wierd things in there... Also if you have important data be sure to keep a recent back up at all times.... In my experience, quite often after a surge like that other components will continue to fail until you have completely replaced the system...