Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microsoft Access XP

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

At work, I've built an Access XP database for keeping track of our computer inventory. Everything works right now, but there's something I'd love to set up.

The Current Set Up:

We're looking at two of my tables, one for Computers and another for Monitors. In both tables, there is a field labled "Location". Also found in both tables is a field labled "Computer Name". Here's what we do. We install the new PC and monitor. In a form that is linked to the Computer table, we input all of the information about the computer such as the computer name and it's location. Then, in a form linked to the monitor table, we enter information about the monitor such as the name of the computer it's attached to and it's location. (I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this by now.)

What I'd Like Set Up:

In the monitor table, I've made the computer name field a drop down list whose data comes from the monitor table. I know that a monitor attached to a PC (say...called ITBOSSPC) is in the same location as the PC itself. Right now, we're having to hand key the location for both. I'd like the location of the monitor to update itself and correspond to the location of the PC. So if in the computer table I say that ITBOSSPC is located in the IT Director's Office, and I tell the monitor it is attached to the ITBOSSPC computer, I'd like the monitor's location to update itself to IT Director's Office.

Then again, I suppose I could get rid of that field all together from the monitor table and just have the field "Location" show up on a report. So, if I print a report with a list of monitors, it could also print their locations; not from the monitor table, but from the Computer Table.

Either way, can someone tell me how to set that up. When I changed control source to the Computer Table earlier, my form (used for entering monitors) only displayed (#Name?)

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Wow, I just proofed my post and realized how utterly confusing it is. I hope someone out there understands what I'm saying. Hahah

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi Magus!

It makes perfect sense.

I don't think I'd worry about showing the "location" in the monitor table. As long as you're using a Lookup field in the Computer table to link a Monitor, I'd rely on a query, form, and/or report to give me the information.

I set up a very simple database with two tables: Computers and Monitors. I've got a query set up called Monitor Locations. Additionally, if you open the Monitor table, you'll see a "+" sign next to each entry. If you expand that, you'll the see linked Computer table record.

I'm attaching it for your review.

Also, once you make a change to a table or query like you described and get that ugly #Name? thing, simply delete the field from the form and readd it. Be sure to change the Tab Order aftewards. Or edit the properties for the field on the form, using the drop down arrow to update the Control Source.

Attached Files

• Attached File  db1.zip   12.53KB   210 downloads

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
LindaGail:

Thanks for the demo. I've just downloaded your little sample file and will play with it later in the day if I get some free time here at work. I'll let you know how it works for me.

Thanks,

Magus