Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost Cd rom drives

• Please log in to reply

Ardent

Ardent

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
I recently installed a trial version of a backup program. I found that it didn't work so I uninstalled it. Next time I booted up I got a message saying that "Nero Check " found that my cd rom drive was missing and would fix it at next boot up. It did, but today I could not find either of my cd drives( I have a cd/dvd and a cd /rw drive) I am not sure how to get them back? I tried the install disc for one of them and it couldn't be read. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi Ardent!

First, let's check Device Manager. Right click My Computer, Manage, Device Manager. Do you see anything listed with a yellow ? or ! over it? Do you see your CD/DVD drives?

Next, let's check the registry for some settings that could prevent your system from seeing the drives properly.

Click Start then Run and type regedit...click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export. Name this file "filters" and save it to your desktop. This file can be deleted when it is determined it is no longer needed.

In the right pane, if either UpperFilters or LowerFilters are present, right click on it and choose Delete...accept the deletion. Delete both if they are both present.

Close Registry Editor and reboot.

Ardent

Ardent

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
wow! is all I can say. Drives showed up and work fine. Thanks so much for your assitance. May I ask why do you think this might have happened? that is if you feel inclined to ...I am just happy to see these drives working again!

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
So was it the registry edit?

Sometimes software leaves a mess in the registry when you uninstall it, and that left-over stuff confuses Windows. That's really all I can say.

I'm glad you got the drives back :whistling: