Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Dual channel RAM setup

• Please log in to reply

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
Which would be the preferred setup on an Intel 965lt Mobo, as far as dimm slots go?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Obviously, two gigs of ram would be better then only one gig of ram. As long as your motherboard supports that much memory in each slot, that is the way to go. :whistling:

Fenor

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
Maybe I should carify. I have one set of HyperX 1Gigs And another set of HiperX 512s, Wich slots would they go in for the best performance, or doesn't it matter?

Edited by MarkN, 08 May 2007 - 04:54 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Do you have 2 or 4 slots for memory on your motherboard? A link to the picture of your motherboard and it's spec's would be helpful. :whistling:

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 08 May 2007 - 06:52 AM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
It will depend on the board. Many boards have different color RAM slots. On some boards 'like' sticks need to be placed in slots of the same color in order to run dual channel. Some others just need an adjustment in the BIOS for it. I put mine in the same colors either way.

Guest_MarkN_*

Guest_MarkN_*
My motherboard does have different colored slots, and I found out on another website that the larger sticks should be placed in the 0 dimm slot of each channel and the smaller ones in the 1 dimm slot of each channel. Is this correct? It is how I initialy set it up.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Are both running dual channel atm? Intel boards have a very limited BIOS and should recognize the dual channel automatically. I have an earlier version Intel board and it was able to recognize the dual channel. As far as the difference between slots 0 and slot 1 shouldn't really make a difference. I had to move my sticks to slots 1 because of the space that my 7800 GT takes up. I had no decrease in performance.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

My motherboard does have different colored slots, and I found out on another website that the larger sticks should be placed in the 0 dimm slot of each channel and the smaller ones in the 1 dimm slot of each channel. Is this correct? It is how I initialy set it up.

Yes that would be the correct way to install the memory sticks.

Fenor