Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

winXP 137gb HDD limit

• Please log in to reply

mjcntn

mjcntn

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello all,

I'm wondering if anyone can lend me some advice, or point me to a useful website. I've been stuck for a couple hours now, trying to install a new western digital EIDE 200 GB (Caviar SE) hard drive to my PC.

First of all, my main goal is to replace my current 40gb maxtor drive (problems with drive, read/write etc...) with the new 200GB. Initially, i thought it would be simple to add the new drive as a slave, and use the wetern digital software that was included to copy the full contents of my old hard drive to the new one and use it as the new bootable drive, but i'v e had no luck getting the full capacity of the drive to show up. The drive shows up in windows disk management, but only as 128gb of unallocated space (as it has not yet been formatted), or in the WD drive setup utility as 136.4gb. Also, after testing a different method, with the HDD jumpers set to master, i attempted to use the XP installation CD to format the drive, but it was of course only shown as 130some GB.

SO, the problem I must be running into is whether or not my motherboard supports 48-bit addressing, and if so, how to enable it.

I'm pretty sure the jumper settings are correct, as it is recognized in the BIOS as the slave drive. Ive looked all over my motherboard's website, but may not know exactly what i'm looking for. My motherboard is Gigabyte K8VT800M v.1

If anyone thinks they might be able to help, it would be greatly appreciated. I don't mind reinstalling windows on the new drive (there's nothing important on the old hard drive) if anyone had an idea where it would be easier to do so, otherwise, windows is working normally on the old drive as a master.

Thanks!

- Mike

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Windows XP does not support 48-bit LBA support unless you are running Windows XP SP1. If you want to use 48-bit LBA support, you must apply Windows XP SP1 or later..for more go here..

mjcntn

mjcntn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yeah, of course. I have SP2, and all the updates available. Again, in the BIOS, my 200gb drive is showing up as 136 and a bit.

How about this, if no one has any suggestions as to what could be done about the drive/BIOS, what about a suggestion as to how big a windows install/system partition should be. I haven't been able to find any recommendations online as to how big a system partition should be. From what i can tell, windows and the my document's type folders are taking up about 10GB on my current drive, how much more than that might be needed?

Maybe ill just install windows fresh on the new drive, with my XP pro install disk only recognizing 136gb, then try and figure out the issue of my motherboard/48-bit addressing at a later time.

Any thoughts??

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Yeah, of course. I have SP2, and all the updates available. Again, in the BIOS, my 200gb drive is showing up as 136 and a bit.

How about this, if no one has any suggestions as to what could be done about the drive/BIOS, what about a suggestion as to how big a windows install/system partition should be. I haven't been able to find any recommendations online as to how big a system partition should be. From what i can tell, windows and the my document's type folders are taking up about 10GB on my current drive, how much more than that might be needed?

Maybe ill just install windows fresh on the new drive, with my XP pro install disk only recognizing 136gb, then try and figure out the issue of my motherboard/48-bit addressing at a later time.

Any thoughts??

first...don't get a attitude...we owe you nothing...and we have no idea what what hardware or software or anything at all about you and your equipment with the sparse info you do give...

did you try updateing your bios...

about partitioning...
The problem stems from the fact that some people seem to feel that the partitioning strategy that works best for them, is best for everyone. But this isn't true. Why?

Because we all have different systems, and we use our different systems for different purposes. What works best for the goose, might not work well for the gander .. soooo...a little lite reading is in order...
go here for the Definitive guide on partitioning stratiges...