Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uninstalling Zone Alarm

• Please log in to reply

des1o

des1o

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
Hello Geeks to Go.

About three months ago I downloaded Zone Alarm. When I did I got the blue screen of death. I had to do a system restore in safemode. I have wanted it off my system ever since. I go to add/remove programs and it's not there, but the ZoneLabs folder is still in my SYSTEM32 folder. I'm afraid to delete it, since it is the program that made my computer crash.

Please tell me the safest way to delete the Zone Alarm files off my system. I really don't want to get the blue screen of death again. I found another all in one utility, called Defender Pro. It works like a beauty. But, the AntiSpy scanner isn't that noteworthy.

Thanks for your time.

-des1o

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The safest way to remove a program is through add/remove programs in the control panel or to use the program's uninstaller. Click Start > all programs and see if zone alarm is in the list of programs. If it's there see if it has an uninstaller. If yes, use it to remove the program.

Whenever you remove a program there are some leftovers which are not harmfull. If you want to remove them go to programs folder and delete the ZoneAlarm folder.

Download ccleaner (link in my signature). Run "cleaner" and "issues" few times until nothing is left to be cleaned. When running "issues" backup changes to the registry when prompted to do so.

All the above steps are safe. Do not go deeper then that. If there are still some leftovers just leave them there.

des1o

des1o

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Alright, will do! Thanks!

-JR