Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Demons in the Machine!

• Please log in to reply

Gozza

Gozza

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Dear Geekstogo,

I wonder if you could help me. I've been trying to fix my aunts computer and I thought I wouldn't have to much trouble with it, however things are in complete chaos on her computer.

She has all the nescesarry antivirus programs installed like Grisoft antivirus, Symantec and norton. But none of them work! They stop functioning during installation or can't be executed if they're already installed. I tried opening them from their respective folders, but the folder-explorer vanishes when I try to get into them. Same thing with spybot search and destroy and a number of other malware removal programs. Internet seems to be impaired as well, since I can't open the geekstogo webpage on her computer, nor can I enter my own hotmail account. The only page it seems to open is google and a number of other searchpages.. internet explorer just vanishes when I try to open anything else. Messenger also won't start up. I've never seen anything this bad. Basically there is little to nothing she can do with her computer now.

I was able to download hijackthis and copy the file to a floppy (nero seems to have been irrepairably damaged, so no cd-burning). I hope there is something you can help me with because it seems the only thing we can think of is to do a complete reinstall.

Here is my Hijackthislog:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 15:31:23, on 29-3-2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\formatsys.exe
C:\WINDOWS\paint.exe
C:\WINDOWS\uptime.exe
C:\WINDOWS\taskmsg.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
c:\progra~1\intern~1\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Janmap\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.dgrinrlcl...sEEXawTKPs.html
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://red.clientapp...//www.yahoo.com
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page_bak = about:blank
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=localhost:3004
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=C:\WINDOWS\System32\Userinit.exe
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {55198F30-C147-551A-7633-3CCFCD637FF7} - C:\DOCUME~1\Anja\APPLIC~1\COALMP~1\meow boob.exe
O2 - BHO: Web assistant - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {E9EA211C-D9F2-4F30-BF5C-27980F2B33B7} - (no file)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Web assistant - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [winlogin.exe] C:\WINDOWS\paint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [notepad.exe] C:\WINDOWS\uptime.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [taskmgr.exe] C:\WINDOWS\taskmsg.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ltwob] C:\WINDOWS\System32\formatsys.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avnort] C:\WINDOWS\System32\serbw.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [serpe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\serbw.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [FunkEncPingKind] C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\download inter funk enc\extra pure.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [RDLL] RunDll16.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [Winzip QuickStrt] logon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [dlite] dllmanager.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ltwob] C:\WINDOWS\System32\formatsys.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [serpe] C:\WINDOWS\System32\serbw.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [avnort] C:\WINDOWS\System32\serbw.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [monitor] monitor.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [stupid aim] C:\DOCUME~1\Anja\APPLIC~1\SKIPRE~1\bolt remote idle.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward &Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cac&hed Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Si&milar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O23 - Service: ASP.NET State Service (aspnet_state) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_state.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy (ccProxy) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Driver Helper Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\System32\nvsvc32.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe

Advertisements

Gozza

Gozza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Nevermind...

They couldn't wait any longer so they've decided to do a complete format and reinstall.

:tazz:

little eagle

little eagle

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Sorry we didn't get to you sooner.

Please follow a few tips to remain malware free:

Make sure you keep your Windows OS current by visiting Windows update
occasionaly to download and install any critical updates and service packs. With out these you are leaving the backdoor open.

Also download, install and keep updated- Antivirus Software (and use only one):
Free for home users:
avast! 4 Home Edition Download
AVG free version 7.0 AVG free version v6.0 updates ended 12/31/04
AntiVir Personal Edition

Adjust your browser settings: Change your(active x) settings in IE. With IE open go to tools, internet options, security tab. Click on the internet globe, then custom level. Set the first option "download signed active x controls" to prompt, the next two to disable. Read more:
Internet Explorer Privacy & Security Settings
Working with Internet Explorer 6 Security
Many exploits are directed at Internet Explorer, you dont have to use it. Try a different browser:
Like Firefox,
And Thunderbird for controling spam in your e-mail.

Install a firewall. A firewall will control what comes in from the internet and what leaves your computer to the internet. A firewall will also alert you when a application trys to connect to the internet from your computer, this is a good way to catch crapware or trojans, trying to connect out bound from your computer- whats that and why does it need a internet connection? You can deny it access it until more investigation is done. Zone Alarm is a free and easy to use firewall, that will provide in and outbound protection. Microsoft XP firewall only provides inbound protection. SP2 adds in and out bound protection which is better than nothing, but is not as robust as third party firewalls, Be sure to run only >one< firewall.If you use another, be sure to disable XP's built in firewall.A inexpensive NAT hardware router with SPI (firewall)would be even better,along with a software firewall.
Zone Alarm
Kerio Personal Firewall
Outpost Firewall

Download, install and update before using:(if these are constantly finding malware, then you need to make some changes)
Ad-Aware SE Personal edition
Spybot Search and destroy
Becarful with spyware "removers and scanners"-- there are many "rogue/suspect" programs that "claim to remove" spyware.

Other programs to consider:
SpywareBlaster
IE-SPYAD
AntiTrojan software to fill in the gap:
a2 free
Ewido Security Suite
Trojan Hunter (30 day trial version)

Learn More:
Tony's article So how did I get infected in the first place?
How to Secure (and Keep Secure) My (New) Computer(s)
Home Computer Security
Wilders Security Advisors

Watch what you download, and where you download it from.
Many programs come bundled with "extra" crapware you may not want. Make sure you know what it is you will be downloading and installing. Visit the makers website, learn more about the program, Does the program you want come bundled with other "3rd party" programs? What do the 3rd party programs do? Will they deliver ads? Track your surfing habits?.You may be installing more than you think, Read the EULA agreement, you know that paragraph of stuff you "agree to" before the software installs? Stay away from warez and crack sites. Becarful what you download from file sharing networks.If you are not sure, scan it with your Antivirus app. A small file (in KB) is probably not what you think it is. Some p2p clients also install 3rd party stuff you probably dont want.