Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Standby Mode Question

• Please log in to reply

demoncrest

demoncrest

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello there, I have registered as a user so I could possibly get some advice and help on an issue I am having right now.

I am thinking powerwise since I am living in an appartment and am paying the power bills on my own and I normally keep my computer on basically 24/7 (except for the occasional restart :whistling:) and was now thinking about using Standby Mode to keep my powerusage down while I sleep for example ....

The only thing is that I always enjoy having programs such as messengers (AIM and MSN in particular) open all night so that anyone can just leave me a message whenever it is convenient for them, or to even just download some things overnight... torrents for example.

After taking these two things into consideration and asking a few friends about standby mode, one has said that these cannot work together since StandbyMode terminates Network Connections until it is back from hibernation and then all it does is reconnect them.... that does no good for my situation :help:

With that being said, I was wondering if there was any sort of "Standby/Hibernation" mode that would grant me low power usage during my computer's low usage times such as when I am sleeping, and also maintain those network connections for various uses I mentioned which require constant internet connectivity. I know it is trying to get the perfect sort of thing, but that is essentially what I need, and hopefully with your guy's help, I can achieve this :)

Thanks for your time, and I hope to get some feedback ASAP .... since I have been keeping it off at nights which for me (a Social worker/Socializing freak :blink:) is a complete dissaster :help:

- Jon

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

StandbyMode terminates Network Connections until it is back from hibernation and then all it does is reconnect them.... that does no good for my situation

there's a flaw there....hibernation and standby are two completely different things....

hibernation will save all current information about your session to your hard drive so that when you come back from hibernation (if you can....sometimes you can't) it's like you never left

Standby however is a lot more configurable...you can configure standby to just turn off specific devices...such as your monitor (which uses the mose electricity) etc...you should be able to configure standby in such a way that it won't terminate your downloads or messenger software

demoncrest

demoncrest

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
is there any sort of walkthrough you think u could give me or help me get through with to be able to standby the really power consuming parts of my computer while keeping my internet connections available then? ... that would be greatly appreciated :whistling:

Edited by demoncrest, 08 May 2007 - 07:00 PM.

demoncrest

demoncrest

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
sorry for almost being recuired ot be spoonfed this information it's just I know a good amount about computers, hardware and software yet I have absolutely no experience with standby/hibernation mode since I have never used them frequently before ... if there is anyone who wouldnt mind even finding me a tutorial and telling me what I can turn off and what I should leave on for my internet to stay active yet save power ... I couldn't even begin to express my gratitude :blink: ... so yeah, if anyone is up to it.... THANKS IN ADVANCE :help: :whistling:

demoncrest

demoncrest

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
bump :S?