Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows explorer

• Please log in to reply

mondial356

mondial356

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I am using Windows XP legal and fully updated.
I am trying to open a site on the internet www.howdidido.com. I get a message saying that to view this site I must have internet explorer V4 or higher and JavaScript enabled. I have enabled JavaScript but despite downloading Internet Explorer 7 I cannot find out which version of Explorer I am actually using. Still I cannot open the site.
What do I do now?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Don't get confused -- Windows Explorer is what you use to view your drives, folders and files and has nothing to do with your problem since it isn't used for viewing websites.

Microsoft Internet Explorer has now been re-named "Windows Internet Explorer" but they are essentially the same thing, so the name-change may have confused you a bit.
Your problem is that particular website has not caught up yet with the new IE7 - it does not recognise it so it thinks you are using an incompatible browser.

You have two options:

1. You can try using a different web-browser just for that website (eg Firefox from here http://www.firefox.com

or

2. Uninstall IE7 which will automatically revert back to IE6 which should then work with that website and any other website which doesn't recognise IE7.

When you do get into the website, you might do us all a favour by contacting the site administrators and pointing out the problem, since very few websites should by now still be having identification issues with IE7.

Edited by pip22, 08 May 2007 - 04:40 AM.

mondial356

mondial356

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thank you for your advice but, being an elderly amateur, I am still in trouble. I downloaded the alternative you suggested but still get the same result when trying to open the site. Mind you, I have done nothing to tell the site that I want to open it with an alternative browser. Should I? How do I? Also, how do I remove one version of Internet Explorer without removing the whole program and leaving me stranded?

hary

hary

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
That site doesn't seem to be Firefox friendly. It works with IE6 try this Link to jump the first part.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Worked just fine with my IE 7.0. The site uses 14 frames!!!! 256 errors and 56 warnings for coding in main page plus all the frame pages. Main page has only a script loader.

Ron

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you go to the page to download IE6.0 you will find an installer package which is some 480kb and will fit on a floppy. Download that to a floppy and remove IE7. If it also removes other versions of IE just put the installer floppy in your drive and open it. It will download and install IE6, usually about 11mb total. I've used the installer package many times because older versions of IE just cant handle the script on MS pages and the install will not be completed.

mondial356

mondial356

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thank you for your help.
David