Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fishtank Computer

• Please log in to reply

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

We felt that by building a computer in an aquarium using clear mineral oil, that we would be able to accomplish a much more attractive result, with less work. We were happy with the results!

Read More

Edited by sari, 08 May 2007 - 04:15 PM.

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I edited your post to correct the link and to put that brief paragraph in quotes. I'm assuming you didn't actuallly build this, so that paragraph is deceptive. While it's an interesting concept, it would be better to preface it with something like "I found this interesting concept about building a PC in a fish tank using mineral oil", and then add the link to the entire story.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The ram is exposed to the water not to mention the PSU there is no way thats real. I'm guessing there is a thin layer of water in front of everything and everything behind it has just air. Regardless it looks really neat. PHotoshoping the parts into the water take is also always a possibility.
James

Edited by james_8970, 08 May 2007 - 06:28 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
We had a big discussion on this a long while ago, its not actually water james its an oil ideally you use something like motor oil but it isnt clear like that, oil is non conductive so its perfectly safe for electronics although not drives as they rely upon moving parts. Its something that people have been on to for a while but what is usually done is a case is constructed usually using acrylic and sealed or a normal case is given a second inner liquid tight layer. Using a fish tank is a novel and quite an effective way to do it.

Fans arent strictly neccesary for the system but they do make it look pretty good.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Like you said, isn't it to clear to be oil. Also oil is much thicker, wouldn't the bubbles be shaped different (different sizes) as well as only go to the very top and not to the right as we are seeing in this picture due to slower flow.

LOL I'm confused. Yes I think I was in that conversation, Tomshardware did that experiment with cooking oil and everyone was like WHAT?!

James

Edited by james_8970, 08 May 2007 - 08:13 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Oil comes in all colours and viscosities, you get some with very low viscosity oils lots of different types although the clear mineral isnt the best oil to use its pretty decent.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
mineral oil is pretty much 100% clear....tomshardware did this with vegetable oil for the looks...but said that motor oil is the most ideal system....however theirs had the PSU and the optical drives outside of the oil...you can't run a CDROM in a liquid...that would be bad...i think the HD's were out of the oil as well...

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Yeah they used vegetable oil and people complained that it would last long and skum would begin to appear compared to other oil, like motor oil. Well I learnt something today, never knew there was clear oil :whistling:
Just for fun lets dig this article up
http://www.tomshardw...ans/page11.html
:blink:
James

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Vegetable oil isnt as pure it contains contaminants which is why scum will form, most things produced from bio-mass are like that they arent as pure as oils derived from fossil fuels. There are lots of different oils, i have always fancied trying it using different oils of different colours and densities which should give a layered effects which would look quite nice and not affect cooling all to much.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
LOL, never even thought about layering the oil. That'd look real interesting.
James

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i like the idea of the layered stuff...most places that have done the oil filled PCs so far have suggested retaining a fan or two though so that the oil circulates offering better cooling ability...that might muck up the nifty colors...though you don't really need a beefy fan..and actually any fans they suggest have to turn REALLY slow due to the viscosity of the oil...so maybe it would be more like a lava lamp?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Thin layers of high viscosity oil might give a lava lamp effect quite nicely, if i get the time over the summer and can scrounge enough old parts i might give it try we have an old fishtank that might do the job and i can get all sorts of oils easy enough.