Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking Two Locations

• Please log in to reply

gcarter

gcarter

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a small problem. My company has two offices, one in the States and the other overseas. We're for a cost effective way to upload and download files to them. I have a FTP server but it slow for the amount of data we transfer. Does anyone have any ideas on what is the best way to do this?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
depending on your internet connections in the respective locations....any site to site connection is going to be slow...especially with overseas communications...you've got alot of routers to traverse to get there...

for individual files FTP or emailing is probably the quickest (for setup) and cheapest since you can pretty much set up FTP for free etc...

there's the option of doing a site to site VPN...depending on your routers and setups etc...but this can (WILL) get complex and could be outside of your scope of ability (not saying it is..but very well could be)....with a site to site VPN...if both networks are using a domain structure with active directory etc...you could create a two way trust between the domains and give the users at domain A access permissions to files on the servers at doman B and conversly give domain B users rights in domain A.....the VPN stuff won't neccessarily speed up the traffic though...that's all up to the internet connection etc...

i've got a site to site VPN with a few of the seperate locations of my company...and we're in the process of making it so that all locations in north america are connected to a central location thereby giving all sites access to each other...and eventually span this connection to our locations in japan....this will handle communications and permission type deal...but the transfer rates will always be determined by the connection at each facililty....if i've got a t1 and another location has a 240K dsl or something like that...it's still gonna be slow as heck trying to get files from them..