Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Notebook chill mats

• Please log in to reply

Adebisi

Adebisi

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
I have a Dell inspiron 1501 which, due to some needs I have, needs to be left on pretty much all day long. It sits in one place and I only occasionally hit the road with it. I hibernate it at night.

I was wondering if those notebook chill mats are any good. Anyone tried them? My laptop does not seem to get all that hot underneath to be honest but the chill mats are pretty cheap.

Do they make a noticeable difference or is it mostly a gimic?

Also, how much battery power will a typical laptop use while hibernating?

Thanks

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
If it doesn't get very hot, then there's no real need to bother. I remember reading in a local (Australian) PC magazine an article on testing notebook coolers, and the verdict was don't bother unless you really need it. They suggested making a simple prop yourself to hold the back of the notebook up a little to help promote airflow underneath...

Not sure about battery usage, but I though hibernating was when it stored all memory to disk and pretty much shut down, so when you wake it up, it just loads all the memory from the disk back to the RAM and away you go. If that's right, then it would use pretty much nothing...

Adebisi

Adebisi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Pretty much confirmed what I thought. Thanks.