Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PCI SATA card

• Please log in to reply

Rico750

Rico750

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
Hi guys,

does someone maybe know what the speeds are of a PCI SATA controller + HD and if they are eventually faster then a ATA 133 IDE disk?

Maybe you guys ever found a website about it where it explanes that or maybe here someone just knows.

I saw that they can go up to 150 MB/s is that faster then ATA 133? how doe sthis work? Do you think your pc will go and work faster with this SATA controller in stead of an on-board IDE ? And can it boot from that SATA controller?

Thanks so much!

Rik
@ your service

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
SATA is the interface of the future, but unless your running a RAID array, the only current advantage to SATA is the smaller cable size. The smaller cables allow for more efficient cooling, and more options in routing.

SATA also means that master and slave configurations are a thing of the past, and more than two drives can be connected together. Longer cables can also be used. No problem booting from an SATA drive with a compatible motherboard.

The fastest hard drives currently transfer data at about 50MB/s. You would need two or more very fast drives in a RAID array to saturate the channel. IDE/ATA interfaces are 100-133 MB/s, and SATA 150MB/s. Not a big speed boost, however, SATA speeds will surely increase over time.

goladith

goladith

• PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
so far the only prob i have had with SATA is that my linux istallation didn't see it to install to, i installed a new SATA and wanted to make a partition for Linux on it, and linux install didn't reconize the HD

Rico750

Rico750

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
The thing i hope is that when i unplug all my IDE drives, put my SATA controller card in there with the disk that the win XP installation will automatic see that drive during the installation to let me partition and format it.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
windows considers SATA to be SCSI, so when setting up windows, when it asks, you will need to press F6 to install 3rd party SCSI drivers. you will need a floppy drive to install those drivers.
...unless its different with a controller card, in which case it should tell you in the book.