Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I have a big virus

• Please log in to reply

xzmattzx

xzmattzx

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I've been using Internet Explorer ever since I reinstalled everything on my computer months ago. I have not had any problems. This weekend, however, I've been hit by some virus and trojan horse and other stuff, and Internet Explorer might be to blame.

Norton Anti-Virus keeps finding new viruses and other stuff, and is doing a good job telling me about it. But these Norton pop-ups never stop; it keeps telling me about the same problems, and sometimes it's affecting the same file that I saw earlier. I've done full virus scans, spyware scans with my copy of SpySubtract, LiveUpdate for Norton, and these things keep coming. When will it end? How do I know that the problem is being solved?

The two main problems seem to be a "Trojan.Vundo", a "Trojan Horse" and an "Infostealer". The Trojan Horse keeps coming up as affecting "C:/WINDOWS/retadpu2000373.exe". For one Trojan Horse, Norton told me "Unable to repair the file" and "Access to file was denied". I've told Norton to repair most of the files when it asked me what to do, and asked Norton to quarantine some others.

I keep getting pop-ups in Internet Explorer now with these problems. I wrote down some of the pop-up addresses: "count3.exitexchange.com/exit/1235321"; "web.811.com/ak.php", "hongsearch.[whatever].....", and so on.

As all of this is going on, my computer is grinding to a halt and takes forever to do tasks.

What should I do about all of this?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
This should have been posted in the Malware section of this forum. Checking to see if it can be moved as you will get quicker help there on malware problems.

Ron

Ryan

Ryan

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,867 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.