Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor blank after standby or hibernate

• Please log in to reply

beethoven

beethoven

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
Hello. I bought a video card a few months ago to supplement my pathetic Intel Integrated Graphics chip on my Dell motherboard. I can look it up if I need to. I don't know if this issue is best in Hardware, System Upgrading, or Software because I could see it in any of the three. Move if needed please.

There are now two places that I can plug the monitor into: the video card or the chip on the motherboard. Also, by going into "Display" in the Control Panel and clicking on "Appearance" I can change which renders the visuals. Sometimes I like to allow the original chip to run the computer to save on heat. My computer has a bad fan and sounds way too hot most of the time and the video card makes it much worse. So I try to stay on the chip when I can. The problem is that when I am on the chip I can't go into standby or hibernate. It will do so but when I turn the computer back on no picture ever comes back to the monitor. It doesn't matter if I am plugged into the chip or card at this point. This only happens I think when I am set to the card before standby. The only solution is to pull the power and restart the computer (which defeats the purpose of standby or hibernate!).

Also when plugged into the chip I can't see what the computer is doing until it reaches the log on screen. All the Windows XP loading screens are missed, which is a problem when I get blue screen errors, which I only found once after I moved the cord to the card after the computer kept not loading. If it gets through start up OK as it usually does then hitting the logon screen will display the picture fine through the chip. But this is really annoying because I can't see the loading process and any errors. Are there any solutions to either problem or do I have to just stay continually plugged into the new high-temperature video card?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Once you install a graphics card, you should disable the integrated graphics chip in the bios and always leave the monitor connected to the card.

What do you mean by 'sounds way too hot'? What does heat sound like? Are you running any utilities (like Speedfan) which are able to tell you temperatures? If you have a broken fan, they're cheap - go and get it swapped for a new one.

beethoven

beethoven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
The one fan that came with the system is running continually, and often quite fast and noisily. I don't have the expertise to add or change a fan and would rather not pay someone else big bucks to do it (I operate on a very low budget). So that's why I've still been using the chip which isn't a problem except for the two times mentioned. I've tried utilities but apparently they don't work. I can find out the hard drive temperature using Everest, but the same program informed me that my CPU doesn't have a thermometer so I can't find out how hot it is....all I know is the fan is running LOUDLY most of the time, and worse when using the video card.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
What processor do you have? My P4 used to scream its head off all the time, but now I have installed a Thermaltake Blue Orb II, and it's so much cooler, quieter, and the whole system has been more stable. Research some fans and then see if you can find one for cheap enough (within your budget), and put it on yourself. I did mine, I just made sure I followed the instructions! As for your original problem, not too sure, but just always shut down when you aren't using it... Takes a little more time, but no problems (which takes way more time).