Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Boot up problem Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Trader1028

Trader1028

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
HI, I have a problem with a Dell deck top and windows XP. The conputer will not boot up.

When I start the computer I get a menu with several selections, some are start normaly, safe mode or last know good configuration. I tried them all.

If I do safe mode I see a scroll of information that mentions partitions and files.

If I try normal or last know good, I see the windows XP starting screen, but it stays stuck on that screen.

The senario of events that may have something to do with it are, the computer was acting slow and not responding. I shut it off by turning the power off as the regular way would not work. I also stopped a AVG virus scan in the middle of it scan to try and get the computer to respond faster.

Any help would be appreciated in where to start, thank you.

PS the first time I tried to start it I got a blue scree with a message about something in the boot I believe. Next time I will write the message down, sorry.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
If you don't have any luck with any of the menu options, try using your xp cd to do an os repair.

Trader1028

Trader1028

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok, I'll let you know how I make out, thanks.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
More info about your problem and how to repair Win XP here.. Good luck.

Ron